What should I stock my pond with?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
If you get 6" cats and put them in with 3" sunfish I'm theorizing you may be down a few centrarchids pretty quick, but I've never had a pond as much as I desperately want one so who knows.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
If you get 6" cats and put them in with 3" sunfish I'm theorizing you may be down a few centrarchids pretty quick, but I've never had a pond as much as I desperately want one so who knows.
Ya I figured they will eat everything but I would probably put the sunfish in fish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
My parents used to help run a trout farm and I don't think the trout will do well over the summer. They really need cool water, like 65* max.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
My parents used to help run a trout farm and I don't think the trout will do well over the summer. They really need cool water, like 65* max.
Ya I feel like the trout would die over the summer. Best bet would be to stock them once a year for fall

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I would just wait till the ice has all melted away and see if there are some survivors left. To my knowledge, the winterkills do not get ALL fish, included some gamefish. The survivors can threatening your future stockings if you are stock the fingerlings or foragefish in the pond.

I would forget the trout, they are not heat tolerance and waste $$$ to stock the trout every winter then have them died by the summer.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Also you don't need to stock bullheads. Every winterkill lakes ALWAYS have surviving bullheads and I can bet you that there are some bullheads still swimming in your ponds, feeding off dead fishes.

I don't think that smallmouth bass is a good choice for your pond due to their inability to reproducing in ponds unless the water is super clear and the bottom is gravel.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Also you don't need to stock bullheads. Every winterkill lakes ALWAYS have surviving bullheads and I can bet you that there are some bullheads still swimming in your ponds, feeding off dead fishes.

I don't think that smallmouth bass is a good choice for your pond due to their inability to reproducing in ponds unless the water is super clear and the bottom is gravel.
The one side is about 90% gravel and the other is sand and Clay. The deeper side is Clay and sand. But I hope bullheads aren't in there I never caught them anyways

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
The one side is about 90% gravel and the other is sand and Clay. The deeper side is Clay and sand. But I hope bullheads aren't in there I never caught them anyways

The bullheads will most likely there. They are survivors of any harsh conditions. What is the water clarity of your pond? Clear? Green Water? Muddy Water? Tea colored Water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store