What should I stock my pond with?

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
I have a 3/4 acre pond at my house in ny. This winter It was a really tough winter and we had a winter fish kill. There are thousands of dead fish all over the pond. The pond is very shallow but very large and and there are two parts to it. One is very very large and shallow and the other is deeper and smaller. There were previously natives like bass, yellow bullheads, sunfish, and crappie in it. I was thinking to start out the pond again that I would stock it with some fresh new species. The pond is going to be deepened to about 10-15 feet. I was thinking this as the stocking...
50 rainbow trout
25 channel catfish
150 sunfish
15 chain pickerel
25 largemouth bass
25 smallmouth bass
25 bullheads
Is this stocking even possible? If not what would need to be changed to make it possible. I want something other than largemouth bass and sunny fishing and was looking for a new game fish. If this list is possible, what else could I put in it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a 3/4 acre pond at my house in ny. This winter It was a really tough winter and we had a winter fish kill. There are thousands of dead fish all over the pond. The pond is very shallow but very large and and there are two parts to it. One is very very large and shallow and the other is deeper and smaller. There were previously natives like bass, yellow bullheads, sunfish, and crappie in it. I was thinking to start out the pond again that I would stock it with some fresh new species. The pond is going to be deepened to about 10-15 feet. I was thinking this as the stocking...
50 rainbow trout
25 channel catfish
150 sunfish
15 chain pickerel
25 largemouth bass
25 smallmouth bass
25 bullheads
Is this stocking even possible? If not what would need to be changed to make it possible. I want something other than largemouth bass and sunny fishing and was looking for a new game fish. If this list is possible, what else could I put in it

Not sure how well rainbows will last the summer but it's worth a try. You could put in yellow perch or walleye, they're good game fish. Also, if you want to see how many fish are still alive from the winter you could snorkel in the pond when it gets to the point that being in the water for 10 minutes won't give you hypothermia, I've been known to snorkel in coldwater to the point where my body is literally down a few degrees to like 96 then I'm forced to get out but it's worth it to watch fish :).

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Not sure how well rainbows will last the summer but it's worth a try. You could put in yellow perch or walleye, they're good game fish. Also, if you want to see how many fish are still alive from the winter you could snorkel in the pond when it gets to the point that being in the water for 10 minutes won't give you hypothermia, I've been known to snorkel in coldwater to the point where my body is literally down a few degrees to like 96 then I'm forced to get out but it's worth it to watch fish :).
I would go snorkel in it. But, there are some big snapping turtles in there. Otherwise I would go in now. I have a very thick surfing wetsuit that I use in winter and a scuba diving set that I could use. And I'm pretty sure 3/4 acres isn't big enough for walleye but I was thinking yellow perch too I forgot to write it

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just noticed, I didn't see crappie on your list. They are an AWESOME game fish to catch, one of my favorites!

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Just noticed, I didn't see crappie on your list. They are an AWESOME game fish to catch, one of my favorites!
I had crappie in it already. I completely forgot crappie on the list too. I'll post a new list because it won't let me edit it. And can someone lmk if the numbers are okay?

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Here is the new list. Will it work?
50 rainbow trout
50 channel catfish
150 sunfish
20 chain pickerel
50 largemouth bass
50 smallmouth bass
50 crappie
75 yellow perch

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Feel free to make your own or modify my list so I can see different options

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Bump to see if any of the 90 People looking at it will comment

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
What sizes are you planning to stock? I think you could easily double or triple those numbers if they are small stocking size fish.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
What sizes are you planning to stock? I think you could easily double or triple those numbers if they are small stocking size fish.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I was thinking for most of them about 2-3" and for the catfish like 6-8" and the sunfish maybe a few months before with possibly some perch with it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store