I'm a little confused.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Univ. of Hawaii has been breeding Banngai cardinals for many years.
Sorry, you're right, I see that they have been. Do they produce them for the trade? I just read stuff about releasing them into the wild. I should have elaborated before: now captive bred banggais are being mass-produced produced for the aquarium trade. Banggai cardinals have been bred by hobbyists for years (I've even done it), but now ORA has added it to their line of aquacultured marine ornamentals.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
That's interesting.I would love to be able to acquire a few and keep them in some kind of outdoor enclosure if I lived in the right part of the country climate wise...but that's all hypothetical lol.
The ones you would be aquiring would be wild caught, and smuggled. Part of the reason their threadened.
Sure it would be great if someone could captive breed them, but the populations in the wild might be completely ruined before this happends.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Sure it would be great if someone could captive breed them, but the populations in the wild might be completely ruined before this happends.
And that's about the point where people take notice and make changes. It's a shame it always has to come so late...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The ones you would be aquiring would be wild caught, and smuggled. Part of the reason their threadened.
Yes I'm aware of that and those smuggled in specimens are the only turtles one could use.They are here so an attempt at putting some of the population to good use is worth a try.If they are not bred at some point they will be poached into extinction as large numbers of them die before they reach their destination.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Yes I'm aware of that and those smuggled in specimens are the only turtles one could use.They are here so an attempt at putting some of the population to good use is worth a try.If they are not bred at some point they will be poached into extinction as large numbers of them die before they reach their destination.
How many turtles do you have to produce to slow the capture of the wild ones? How much cheaper would cb be than wc?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Sorry, you're right, I see that they have been. Do they produce them for the trade? I just read stuff about releasing them into the wild. I should have elaborated before: now captive bred banggais are being mass-produced produced for the aquarium trade. Banggai cardinals have been bred by hobbyists for years (I've even done it), but now ORA has added it to their line of aquacultured marine ornamentals.
They do have a PDF file(CTAHR)available outlining the procedure.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
If noone bought them, there wouldnt be a market for them.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
How many turtles do you have to produce to slow the capture of the wild ones? How much cheaper would cb be than wc?
Good questions,one big obstacle from what I've been told is that these turtles don't reach sexual maturity until they are about ten years old.
Yes Karl of course there would be no market if there was no interest in them,I don't think anyone needs to be told that lol....I'm talking about utilizing the turtles that are here,it may take a few years but once a domestic broodstock is established then that would be a death knell to the poaching that goes on.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Good questions,one big obstacle from what I've been told is that these turtles don't reach sexual maturity until they are about ten years old.
Yes Karl of course there would be no market if there was no interest in them,I don't think anyone needs to be told that lol....I'm talking about utilizing the turtles that are here,it may take a few years but once a domestic broodstock is established then that would be a death knell to the poaching that goes on.
Different ways of looking at it. I mean captive breeding these guys would be great, but its just a risk, might just be better to leave them alone, but will people do that?
Anyone on the forum that has had succes breeding them?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What's the risk,either breeding is successful or it is not?..If it is successfully done then there are that many more new turtles to preserve the species.I haven't heard of any such breedings though so at this point it's all just a pipe dream.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store