I'm a little confused.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
What is the average clutch size? Is it one hundred or are we talking about hundreds?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
What is the average clutch size? Is it one hundred or are we talking about hundreds?

Young females will lay as few as 3 to 7 eggs. Full adult clutches range from 7-14 eggs in a clutch. Some nests were found to hold 21 eggs but, these may have been shared nests due to the number of females laying eggs during the short nesting season.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The date of that post puts that batch at the tail-end of the last allowed exports from Indonesia. Papua, N.G and Australia were fully closed earlier. At 5", those 'babies' were no longer considered hatchlings. They were closer to being yearlings.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
The date of that post puts that batch at the tail-end of the last allowed exports from Indonesia. Papua, N.G and Australia were fully closed earlier. At 5", those 'babies' were no longer considered hatchlings. They were closer to being yearlings.
Thanks for the information on the subject.
I was looking at one a few months ago but chickened out at the last second. I guess it was a good thing I did.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
What's the risk,either breeding is successful or it is not?..If it is successfully done then there are that many more new turtles to preserve the species.I haven't heard of any such breedings though so at this point it's all just a pipe dream.
Compared to just closing the market by stopping to buy them, theres a big risk.
But again this kinda of unrealistic, theres always gonna be someone that doesnt care that their endangered.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Export and trade in FRTs is now banned from the 3 countries the species originates (Indonesia, Australia, and Papua N.G.). Importing to the US is now federally illegal though the Threatened Species Act and the Lacey Act. Legal turtles are those where proof is available that the turtles were procured prior to the ban. Just before the import ban, FRTs that were brought in through customs with Indonesian export permits were allowed and illegal imports were considered to be 'legal' once they reached the retail buyers.
Interessting information, thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store