Polys in a 150

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Yeah I'm afraid that I will have to seperate my clown loaches down the line. Theyre really agile and intelligent creatures though. I would be shocked to see them get caught. My congicus stalked one for about five minutes about a month ago. He gave up when the clown turned on him and started zipping all around his face like an angry hornet. He hasn't tried since, or at least not when I'm watching. One of my ornates is aggressive, but only toward the other ornate. It outright tried to kill her when I first added her. I missed a great halloween party last year because of it. I sat there for hours breaking them up over and over again. The aggression isnt nearly so bad now. Just the occasional fin nipping and chasing. There are absolutely no signs of aggression out of the ornate toward other tank mates.
An angry hornet haha. That's funny. My lap was pretty mean to my endli at first too. Swimming up to him and biting him for no reason. She's also bitten my teug before also but most of the time she's pretty laid back. Polys seem to be the one fish that I could never get tired of. Such amazing creatures even though mine are pretty lazy lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
out of the 8 loaches in my tank only 2 are about 4.5" and football shaped. the others are small, 2 of which are well under 2.5". My del is pushing 7.5" or so and he eats whole silversides that are easily bigger than both the smallest loaches combined. If he ever does go near them the larger ones in the group buzz him like crazy til he gets sick of it and heads to his favorite floated plant haha. loaches are definitely one fish I don't worry about getting munched easily.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
out of the 8 loaches in my tank only 2 are about 4.5" and football shaped. the others are small, 2 of which are well under 2.5". My del is pushing 7.5" or so and he eats whole silversides that are easily bigger than both the smallest loaches combined. If he ever does go near them the larger ones in the group buzz him like crazy til he gets sick of it and heads to his favorite floated plant haha. loaches are definitely one fish I don't worry about getting munched easily.
That's awesome. I may try and find a couple to see how they do. If they do get eaten don't they have some really nasty tusks?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
That's awesome. I may try and find a couple to see how they do. If they do get eaten don't they have some really nasty tusks?

As much as I despise buying from them, PETCO tends to have really nice CL's, they are usually like 2 inches or so but they get alot of irregular patterned ones in. As for pectoral or dorsal spines, I'm not entirely sure. Mine sit in my hand all the time when I'm working in the tank and I've never felt anything terribly sharp on them.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
As much as I despise buying from them, PETCO tends to have really nice CL's, they are usually like 2 inches or so but they get alot of irregular patterned ones in. As for pectoral or dorsal spines, I'm not entirely sure. Mine sit in my hand all the time when I'm working in the tank and I've never felt anything terribly sharp on them.
My petco only sells goldfish lol. But I have a petsmart close by that I may try. How slow are we talking on growth rate?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
extremely. Mine don't look like they've moved length-wise. Just got chubbier lol. I've had the big ones for pushing a year now and the little ones came in at different intervals and none have shown much growth.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
extremely. Mine don't look like they've moved length-wise. Just got chubbier lol. I've had the big ones for pushing a year now and the little ones came in at different intervals and none have shown much growth.
That's insane. I had a green terror that I got tired of because she never grew. I'm going through the same thing with my carpintis festae hybrid but I'm too anxious to see how he turns out to get rid of him lol.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
haha what loaches lack in a pituatary gland they more than make up for in attitude and personality.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
haha what loaches lack in a pituatary gland they more than make up for in attitude and personality.
Very true. They really do have amazing personalities. When I first set up my 180g, the three loaches and my large sen were the only two fish in the tank. I think they elected my sen as their leader, as they would follow him around the tank mimmicking his every move. It was hilarious to watch. Their communication appears to be highly complex. They change between dark and pale colors to indicate their mood to one another, and are constantly poking one another and pointing out objects of interest, which they will then proceed to buzz around until it becomes boring.

Research indicates that the dominant fish is capable of releasing growth inhibiting hormones into the water as a means of ensuring they stay larger than the others. This is thought to be a contributing factor in their painfully slow growth rates. Keeping up with water changes can diminish this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store