Acclimating Between your own tanks.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
The title says it all....Do you folks usually acclimate when moving fish from tank to tank in your fish room? Assuming that the Temps and parameters are the same?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If parameters and temp are the same, what would you be acclimating for?

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
If parameters and temp are the same, what would you be acclimating for?
You kind of reiterated the same question I just asked...didn't you?

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
I don't if the temps and PH are the same. Now if it was a pair of Discus that was in RO and i was to convert them back to tap then i would acclimate.
Very good. Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for...Thank you very much.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I generally do acclimate when moving fish form tank to tank in my setups. I do not take quite as much care as when bringing in fish from outside sources.
My thinking has been that over time each tank will have slightly different conditions. I have some set up over a year longer than any others. I also have a different variety of fish and plants from tank to tank. While the water that goes into each tank is from the same source, it may be that these differences could be enough to shock the fish. likely only slightly.

I also have addopted the practice of not moving water from tank to tank. After floating the bag of fish and water, adding a little water from the destination tank to the bag, and equalizing the temps, I pour the bag water out thru a net into a bucket. The fish are caught in the net and put into the destination tank from the net.

Reactions: jwh and TripleW

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I usually just net fish over from one tank to another. All my tanks are generally kept at similar temps buy admittedly I don't always check the oh. I've never had any problems though.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Hello; I generally do acclimate when moving fish form tank to tank in my setups. I do not take quite as much care as when bringing in fish from outside sources.
My thinking has been that over time each tank will have slightly different conditions. I have some set up over a year longer than any others. I also have a different variety of fish and plants from tank to tank. While the water that goes into each tank is from the same source, it may be that these differences could be enough to shock the fish. likely only slightly.

I also have addopted the practice of not moving water from tank to tank. After floating the bag of fish and water, adding a little water from the destination tank to the bag, and equalizing the temps, I pour the bag water out thru a net into a bucket. The fish are caught in the net and put into the destination tank from the net.

Very good thing to practice! I moved two fish to my newly set up 220 the other night...I acclimated them both, one a bit longer than the other. The one that I did for longer, seemed to adjust to the tank much quicker than the other. Take that for what it is worth. Thanks for the replies!

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I always spend the extra 30 min and do it. To me its a cheap insurance policy. You never know if you have different things affecting the water parameters. I suppose if you test both tanks and the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, and hardness are identical it wouldn't matter. I think the only thing that would be difficult to have identical would be nitrate. Hence, I always acclimate.

Reactions: TripleW

ApexMonstah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Boston, MA
I think the only time I really acclimate when moving tank to tank was with very sensitive rare breeds of dwarf shrimps where the slightest difference in water parameters could kill them lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store