My weeksii bichir is not moving lays on back

Bluecheesin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
Today I woke up and seen that my weeksii bichir was looking very strange his head was in the sand and the tail was floating so I scooped him up with the net to see if he was ok and I let him go to see if he would swim and he just fell to the bottom of the tank and he is completely flat and rolled over to its back and doesn't even try to move but its still breathing I have no idea what wrong with him any ideas?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You got give some more info like last wc and water parameters. Could be change in ph to spike in nitrates.

Bluecheesin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
You got give some more info like last wc and water parameters. Could be change in ph to spike in nitrates.
I have done 2 water changes in the past like week or two and I recently just got the bichir a couple days ago and he was looking and swimming around all healthy and today he is motionless on his back besides breathing and I have no idea what the ph or nitrates are in my tank

20150628_130716.jpg

20150628_130725.jpg

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I would put some aquarium salt in there ASAP, and don't mess or move it around as that'll stress it out. Do you have any other fish in there? Also I would get a water testing kit to check nitrites and such.

Bluecheesin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
I would put some aquarium salt in there ASAP, and don't mess or move it around as that'll stress it out. Do you have any other fish in there? Also I would get a water testing kit to check nitrites and such.

Bluecheesin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
Will the Salt make it better? And yes I have 2 Oscars 1 red belly pacu and 1 pleco and I netted the bichir and brought it to the top

20150628_131532.jpg

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Depends on what's wrong with it, but for right now it will help with preventing other problems. How often do you feed? And how much do you feed? Also what is your filtration?

Bluecheesin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
Depends on what's wrong with it, but for right now it will help with preventing other problems. How often do you feed? And how much do you feed? Also what is your filtration?

I feed them about everyday or every other day and I either feed them pellets or frozen blood worms and I just put enough in the tank to feed everyone and I got 2 tetra whisper 60 gal filters with fresh filters and these past couple days the bichir has been acting fine and been very active I recently just found him this morning like that

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Have you noticed any of the tank mates picking on the bichir? The fins on its tail seem to be nipped. Also is your bichir still on its back in the net?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store