Yellow Perch Growout Thread

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
When the first few died I think that should have triggered a bell that something is wrong.

Adding more fish to an already death trap tank does not make sense to me.
The first died from jumping out and then the other two from swim bladder problems, nothing to do with tankmates whatsoever.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey where can I buy some yellow perch? What state are you in?
I'm in PA and the perch were wild caught in Lake Erie by bait shop nets and slipped in with some bait shiners so I took them home. Not sure where to buy them.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
We have yellow perch here in NC but they are rather small compared to further north, how big do your fish get?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
We have yellow perch here in NC but they are rather small compared to further north, how big do your fish get?
Biggest perch I've caught was 16" and 2 pounds, 10 ounces. State record is 18" and 3 pounds, 1 ounce. Average size perch I catch are around 12".

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
After several months without keeping perch and having a desire to do so the entire time, I decided to keep them again. On the way home from Erie yesterday I stopped at Presque Isle Lagoon at a spot where I've seen hundreds of Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, Sunfish, and Banded Killifish and caught myself 16 YOY (young of the year) Yellow Perch plus a YOY Bluegill. Since they are Erie Perch they have very good genes meaning that they could potentially reach 10-16" in size which I hope to see them achieve in time. After acclimating them to their quarantine tank (a 10 gallon) last night they all appear to be in great health! I plan on keeping 6-10 adults for a panfish display tank and giving the rest to a friend. I'll be sure to post regular updates on these guys and I'm excited to finally have perch again!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Do any of yours have black spots on the dorsal fins? I remember when mine were fingerlings the two larger more dominant had a black spot where the dorsal began on the fish. Good luck with this batch makes me want to get some again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store