Yellow Perch Growout Thread

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Do any of yours have black spots on the dorsal fins? I remember when mine were fingerlings the two larger more dominant had a black spot where the dorsal began on the fish. Good luck with this batch makes me want to get some again.
Yes, actually most of the fish do have black spots on their dorsals. Thanks!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome little guys. I'm dying to get my hands on some. Any tips on what areas I can find small perch? By logs, under floating weeds?
Thank you! I got mine in the lagoon of presque isle so it's weedier than the rest of the Lake is. I got mine right at the edge of a weed line where it stops suddenly under a small bridge because of lack of light. They were schooling with juvenile largemouth bass and banded killifish right near shore in about 2.5-3' deep water. As far as open water perch in the main part of the lake (or any large, open body of water) your best bet is to search around for a school near the top of the water (normally in the top 12" of water) and throw a cast net at them if it's legal in your area. I find it much easier to get them near shore in shallower water though haha.

fishmastermike

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Barnegat, NJ
I've always thought about just trying to scoop up some of the baitfish swimming near shore in hopes they school with them. Wasn't sure though. Glad I found out lol. I'm gonna try and hit the lake tomorrow and do that. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store