Noisy FX6

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Anyone else's Fluval fx6 make a lot of noise? I know they do this smart cycle thing once a day and purges itself of air. But mine seems to spend about 4 hours a day doing it then it stops altogether sorts itself out and then restarts again. Then it is quiet for the rest of the day

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
If its purging four times a day there could be an air leak mate check your hozes for splits etc , also might be worth cleaning the impeller out , mine used to make loads of noise if sand or gravel is trapped in there , what substrate are you using on bottom of your tank sand ?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
My old fx5 started doing this, needed a new motor so I bought and fitted an fx6 motor...
Check for leaks first, pipes and main seal, your inlet is low enough and no airstones near it?

doviione

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2012
Check the fx6 hose clamps to make sure both of them are secure.

that is where air got in on my fx6

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
My FX5 did this exact thing when the filter media got plugged up with sand substrate, plant matter or Malaysian trumpet snails. Cleaning the filter fixed the problem.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Eheims don't make noise.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Eheims don't make noise.
Let me explain....
The reasons stated from others theoretically aren't possible. When the pump is on top (like it should be) nothing can get in it. When you use soft silicone hoses that don't get brittle with age, they don't leak.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
Do u have an airstone by the intake area? Maybe air bubbles going in the intake from it

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
Every three months I really have to clean the impeller and the housing on my Fx6 if I don't, it won't start or it's very loud. I actually contacted fluval because I was having issues with a new filter and they said to be sure to clean out the motor housing (The red part that the impeller sits in) every 8 weeks with Q tips because a slime builds up and causes resistance for the impeller. Which could lead to noise of the impeller struggling to turn.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
If its purging four times a day there could be an air leak mate check your hozes for splits etc , also might be worth cleaning the impeller out , mine used to make loads of noise if sand or gravel is trapped in there , what substrate are you using on bottom of your tank sand ?
Hi and thanks, yes i will check all the connections and probably shut it down next week for a clean. Only started it up as a secondary bit of mechanical on my sump. The intake sits low in the sump, no sand in the sump, only mulm from the sump floor and crap from the main tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store