Noisy FX6

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Check the fx6 hose clamps to make sure both of them are secure.

that is where air got in on my fx6
Will do so tonight, but i would have thought the filter would be dong this constantly if it were a leak on a pipe? This seems to happen every morning up until around lunch time, at this point is stops completely for a minute then restarts and then remains quiet for the rest of the day.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
... Only started it up as a secondary bit of mechanical on my sump. The intake sits low in the sump, no sand in the sump, only mulm from the sump floor and crap from the main tank.
Do you have any pics of the filter in relation to the sump? It can be more difficult to evacuate air from the filter if the sump or tank water level is below or equal to the top of the canister filter.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Do you have any pics of the filter in relation to the sump? It can be more difficult to evacuate air from the filter if the sump or tank water level is below or equal to the top of the canister filter.
The top of the filter (lid) is around 4" below the water line. I know this is not ideal and Fluval state 8" minimum but it started up and worked well for the fisrst week or so. Probably just due a clean out and restart.

doviione

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2012
Will do so tonight, but i would have thought the filter would be dong this constantly if it were a leak on a pipe? This seems to happen every morning up until around lunch time, at this point is stops completely for a minute then restarts and then remains quiet for the rest of the day.
It will show as a leak, the clamp is not tight enough and allow air to get drawn in so by morning your canister is almost half empty and with air causing noise.

Good Luck!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If its purging four times a day there could be an air leak mate check your hozes for splits etc , also might be worth cleaning the impeller out , mine used to make loads of noise if sand or gravel is trapped in there , what substrate are you using on bottom of your tank sand ?
This.
Check the fx6 hose clamps to make sure both of them are secure.

that is where air got in on my fx6
Also, this.

Check your hoses are completely clamped down as others have mentioned, the draw from the siphon might be pulling in small amounts of air at a time, hence the 4 times a day, but not all day air purge the canister is doing.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Well I tightened up the hose connections and clamps to the lid although all seemed tight anyway but managed like a quarter turn on a couple of connections and all good now! No noise happy days and thanks for the help all!

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Eheims don't make noise.
Dollars to dough-nuts, if you dont have sand (or at least use a prefilter)
FX' filters are GREAT (dont believe the Eheim naysayers, they just like to justify what they spent/elitists). That said however, Eheims are the best choice (or any top motor mounter canister) if you're going to used sand WITHOUT a prefilter, but ONLY in that case....

I can EASILY AFFORD and 2262, but have no need for one, even though i have 10 tanks(40B-125g). They're just NOT WORTH IT. It's just BRAGGING RIGHTS...LOL

Heck I even have a BRAND NEW IN BOX FX5 AND FX6 NEW IN BOX, and no tank I "NEED" them for. I bought them cause they were on sale. My Aquatops and SUNSUN's are kickin ass, and I have their flow reduced with 2 little fishes valves on the outputs.

I will be honest however, and state that I'm starting to just switch everything over to air driven sponges and HOB's like I used to run back in the day(power bill looks better). The canisters just aren't worth it under 200+ gallons IN MY OPINION. You can grow PLENTY of BB in an aquaclear 110 and a Spongefilter or 2 for ANYTHING.

This is coming from 20+ years of keeping cichlids.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store