1st time sump opinions needed

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yes, that looks made for the return to go OVER and IN you tank and should work. From the outlet of the pump, you could T/split and run two of those for the return. You can even design to have multiple returns, but I would think two would be sufficient.

Also, think about where/how the return will be and make sure you are able to break the siphon when your return pump is off (to avoid sump overflow). Some drill a small hole (1/8"?) at the loc-line to do that. I use a check valve AND my return is at the tank surface so my sump can accommodate the water backflow (in case my check valve fails).

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks DN328 DN328 big help man. But im still confused as to why its 3/4 pipe from the pump to the tank amd 1 inch from the overflow back to the sump.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Let me try to clarify; If the outlet from your pump is 1", you can use a 1" tube or adaptor/PV, based on what you go with. Since it's 1" return, you can T/Split, along with using a reducer for 3/4" for the two returns / loc-line back into the tank. Moreover, I believe 3/4" is the smallest size available for loc-line. You basically want to keep the overall diameter as close as possible to the 1" for flow.

The 1" from overflow I believe is just what the size is on your eshopp, correct? Just us 1" if that's the case. HTH

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for being patient...im an idiot

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
You are fine man...people, me included, aren't always clear. Throw the topics we talk about on a public forum and it can be clear as mud...LOL

Reactions: jaws7777

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
My sump doesn't obtain siphon so it might not be relevant, but the pump can push water through 3/4" faster than gravity can drain water through 1". That's why the sizing is different for my build.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
My sump doesn't obtain siphon so it might not be relevant, but the pump can push water through 3/4" faster than gravity can drain water through 1". That's why the sizing is different for my build.
got it gonna put this on hold until the week after next, should be done with the move by then and the tanks that i am using to stage the fish will be free.

Woefulrelic Woefulrelic is it your build that dictates that or that's how its always done (drain line bigger than the return line)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
thx DN328 DN328

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
I'm running the Jebao DC-12000 on my 150g tank. I run it on level 2 out of 6. The DC are very forgiving, but they really prefer being run at less than 100% capacity in the long term. Running mine on level 2 gives me enough flow, the pump is silent, and it's running below capacity. The flow rates on my pump are not spread out very wide either, 60%, 70%, 80%, 85%, 90%, 100%, it's older, so it only has 6 settings, the newer one's have ten. I have run it at the higher levels before, once I get to 85, I can hear the pump spooling, it's louder than I'd prefer but it's also pushing a lot of water at that high level too. It makes water changes easy, I have it T'd off on the return, I just shut off the tank side and run a hose from the T out my window to dispose of the water. The plants really like it.

I'd suggest looking up the specs on the pumps you want and buying one with a flow rate in the low to middle end for your tank.

This is a link for the manual to the first and second gen pumps with 6 flow settings. http://www.fastlight.co.uk/acatalog/jebao_dc_pump_manual.pdf

http://www.fish-street.com/jebaojec...s_delivery_canj_warehouse?search_string=jebao

"DC Pump is produce on 2013. DCT Pump is produce on 2015.

For the DCT Pump have a new technology move all electricity parts to controller. Make the DCT Pump more stable. High Power with the Pump not affection electricity issue. New ECO Technology using environment materials for build. Provides more safety and reduce the leak issue!

High Recommend for DCT Pump Now !"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store