Alligator snapping turtle?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Could someone provide me with a in depth care sheet on alligator snapping turtles? Also what size aquarium would an individual need to house an adult alligator snapper over 2 ft as well as info on housing something small like a hatchling.
I know a AST could take out any fish you add to an aquarium but honestly what's the most turtle safe aquarium fish out their? Their has to be one I've seen the exibits just like the rest of you.
I was thinking large cichlids or common plecos? Maybe native wild caught fish would work? Basically which fish has the least casualties when housed with these animals?

My main question on alligator snappers has to be, What is the average expected size of a captive raised AST? I only seem to find their weight. With females being 60 pounds and males 150+ How big do females get In inches in captivity? Like how large can you expect your average female alligator snapping turtle to grow assuming the close to 3 ft measurments belongs to the male AST do females stay small enough for the in home aquarium and if not how the difference in weight?

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
As far as depth goes I suggest it should be just deep enough that it docent need to swim to get air so when standing on bottom he can reach the surface in the deepest part. Also add a shallow area gust an inch or so deeper then the shell hight so all it has to do is lift its head up.

Housing I would recommend over double the length of the turtle for width and 4 times for the length or an 6 foot round stock tank for a 2 foot long turtle. babies can do well in a 40 gallon breeder until they get to 9 inches long then they need an upgrade to something like a 100 gallon stock tank. this species dose better in large stock tanks then aquariums.

The turtle WILL EAT any and all fish you add no matter what its just a matter of time. that said I use convicts in all my tanks they are cheap,they breed like crazy,and eat leftover food. natives work but you run a HIGH risk of parasites. large cichlids are expensive food and common places go for it they will die some day so just be prepared for that mess the turtle will make.

As far as how big do females get in captivity 60 pounds. That is a big turtle they get about 2 to 3 foot that is a good expected length of shell but at 60 pounds they are strong enough to brake most aquarium glass. they can live up to 150 years old and grow all there lives so it is close to 5 years before you get a big one and 25 before you get a monster.

No it is not a home aquarium "pet". They get big,if you don't have big turtle experience don't get one. If you want a turtle for a home aquarium get a stink pot or a razor back musk.

If you have any questions feel free to ask for clarification.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
As far as depth goes I suggest it should be just deep enough that it docent need to swim to get air so when standing on bottom he can reach the surface in the deepest part. Also add a shallow area gust an inch or so deeper then the shell hight so all it has to do is lift its head up.

Housing I would recommend over double the length of the turtle for width and 4 times for the length or an 6 foot round stock tank for a 2 foot long turtle. babies can do well in a 40 gallon breeder until they get to 9 inches long then they need an upgrade to something like a 100 gallon stock tank. this species dose better in large stock tanks then aquariums.

The turtle WILL EAT any and all fish you add no matter what its just a matter of time. that said I use convicts in all my tanks they are cheap,they breed like crazy,and eat leftover food. natives work but you run a HIGH risk of parasites. large cichlids are expensive food and common places go for it they will die some day so just be prepared for that mess the turtle will make.

As far as how big do females get in captivity 60 pounds. That is a big turtle they get about 2 to 3 foot that is a good expected length of shell but at 60 pounds they are strong enough to brake most aquarium glass. they can live up to 150 years old and grow all there lives so it is close to 5 years before you get a big one and 25 before you get a monster.

No it is not a home aquarium "pet". They get big,if you don't have big turtle experience don't get one. If you want a turtle for a home aquarium get a stink pot or a razor back musk.

If you have any questions feel free to ask for clarification.
Thanks for the suggestions I actually ordered my turtle already this morning when I posted this but don't worry this isn't my first turtle by any means I have a male softshell currently and other large aquarium specific pets as well and have for some time I've had this softshell for years now he still doing great as he should be at 7 yrs old I've also fully grown out a handful of RES and other turtles for my pond however they have all since disappeared. I've also been looking into this idea on and off for a few months and researching so this wasn't truly an impulse buy just kinda of a **** it im tired of reading lets go for it and try it out thing. Lol and on the depth issue I was just gonna add a large peice of driftwood to the center of the tank as well as some tall plants for the turtle to rest on for now what I was wanting to do was keep the water deep like fill the tank close to the rim and build a natural 3D background with some underwater platforms at different levels and add a cool cave like ridge along the bottom for the snapper to help make him feel secure. I know 180 isn't a permanent home but it would last for some time and I could probably house a snapper in said tank up to a fairly large size before needing another upgrade plus I could use my 2 ft by 2 ft panels and I'd only need to construct one more to add to the 180 for a 3D background and wait really?? No fish whatsoever? I've always kept fish on and off with my softshell with minimum casualties and my pond fish did fine but my softshell he spares feeders including crawfish and feeder fish ass well as some mbuna cichlids I keep in his tank they usually kill the feeders and eachother before he takes bites out I've actually seen it it's really odd so I guess he doesn't count, and my pond fish were the same size or bigger then the sliders so I guess that's out too either way if I was going to do wild caught I would quarenteen for some time first and the reason I'm interested is because id love some sunfish or Texas cichlids in my tank maybe even a small spotted gar or smaller catfish once I upgrade but I could see the catfish ending poorly so I'd probably steer clear of that. Lol and yeah I almost forgot it's funny you mention musk turtles and convicts my girlfriend found a musk and brought it to me recently and I originally thought about a mix of convicts and fire out cichlids for this tank. I've been debating keeping or releasing the musk, it's under an inch and supper personal it likes to come up to the glass and swim against it to see you idk looks like I might have 3 turtles along with my multiple large fish tanks now but that isn't a problem atleast not for me. I've attached a pic of the musk she brought me and I guess I'll attach a quick photo of the softshell when my snapper come in

image.jpeg

Last edited:

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
I wish the best of luck to you

soft shells work better with fish because they tend to stick to things that will fit in there mouth so larger Fish are Generally ok with AST they are designed to eat fish no matter the size and with their jaw even a small young one can easily kill a fish bigger then its self you can put fish in there just make shore you don't get attached to them. and don't put other turtles in with a AST that never ends well.

the 3D back ground sounds cool and all but I wouldn't recommend it for an AST they like to burry themselves to feel more secure I kept mine on pool filter sand the tank had bricks that made a 2 level bed one deeper and one shallower. the reason the deep water might not work is that don't seem to be comfortable in open water like softies and RES. they like it shallow.

as far as the musk goes I would release it I'm a firm believer in captive breeding and wild caught animals do more harm to the pet trade then they do good. If you want an animal it is better to go with a captive breeder to help lessen the pressures on wild populations. every little bit helps.

How big is the snapper?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Ok. makes sense about t
I wish the best of luck to you

soft shells work better with fish because they tend to stick to things that will fit in there mouth so larger Fish are Generally ok with AST they are designed to eat fish no matter the size and with their jaw even a small young one can easily kill a fish bigger then its self you can put fish in there just make shore you don't get attached to them. and don't put other turtles in with a AST that never ends well.

the 3D back ground sounds cool and all but I wouldn't recommend it for an AST they like to burry themselves to feel more secure I kept mine on pool filter sand the tank had bricks that made a 2 level bed one deeper and one shallower. the reason the deep water might not work is that don't seem to be comfortable in open water like softies and RES. they like it shallow.

as far as the musk goes I would release it I'm a firm believer in captive breeding and wild caught animals do more harm to the pet trade then they do good. If you want an animal it is better to go with a captive breeder to help lessen the pressures on wild populations. every little bit helps.

How big is the snapper?
he softshell not sure why he never ate even the smaller feeders according to that logic their were plenty meal sized fish and other things he let live, but I guess he's just the acception he's a pretty weird turtle to be completely honest. also don't worry about fish being eaten any fish I put in the tank would be considered a possible meal and I'd probably try it out with some bluegill or something first before throwing any nicer fish in the tank to see how it goes and even then they would be wild caught just bigger with nicer colors/fins. And I don't plan on housing one of these with any other turtles especially my softshell as I feel like he could be taken bites out of and the musk would be bite sized. Lol however I have heard these do well with their own species and differ from the common snapper in this way is that true? I was considering picking up/adopting one of these who had outgrown someone's tank of the opposite sex once mine is breeding age/size but that's far off also I hope to be better equipped by then and more prepared for 2 of these turtles and if they bred I'd probably realease a lot of the hatchlings into the wild once I grew them just a bit in my own pond as they are supposed to be native to my area however non existent they may be. Also that sucks about the background I might pick up a different shaped tank as this one is somewhat high and Im not fond of a tank only filled a quarter of the way and if not I could still build the background and put in a cool waterfall thing along the back wall as well as some live hanging plants and I could add the ridge for the turtle to hide under and maybe even a lower platform he or she could use. Once alittle bigger and the water can be raised slightly, And yeah I know I'll probably let this little guy go as soon as he grows some I can't just drop him off like this he'd be a meal for sure and my girlfriend would have a fit trust me he will be easier to release as far as dealing with her when he's uglier and easier on my part once I know he won't be eaten by the first well anything that encounters this musk in the river.

Last edited:

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
adults can do well together gust watch them. you sound very optimistic with your 3D background plans I would love to see some pics when you get it done.

I understand what you mean about a "pretty weird" turtle I've got this common snapper that doesn't bother with live fish unless its sick or dying.

P.S yes he is that pink and no it is not a trick of the light.

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

Reactions: jordanlewis100

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I agree with everything said so far.
I don't risk keeping any fish with my turtles except wild fish, occasional plecos, and feeders like minnows and guppies. I've tried keeping other fish with turtles so many times and it never lasts forever. The turtles always end up getting the best of the fish eventually. So as a general rule don't put anything with a turtle that you don't mind losing. I have a small yellow perch and a common pleco with my baby turtles currently and the only reason they've done so well is because the turtles are quite a bit smaller. Again, it's not going to be that way forever.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Thanks for the suggestions I actually ordered my turtle already this morning when I posted this but don't worry this isn't my first turtle by any means I have a male softshell currently and other large aquarium specific pets as well and have for some time I've had this softshell for years now he still doing great as he should be at 7 yrs old I've also fully grown out a handful of RES and other turtles for my pond however they have all since disappeared. I've also been looking into this idea on and off for a few months and researching so this wasn't truly an impulse buy just kinda of a **** it im tired of reading lets go for it and try it out thing. Lol and on the depth issue I was just gonna add a large peice of driftwood to the center of the tank as well as some tall plants for the turtle to rest on for now what I was wanting to do was keep the water deep like fill the tank close to the rim and build a natural 3D background with some underwater platforms at different levels and add a cool cave like ridge along the bottom for the snapper to help make him feel secure. I know 180 isn't a permanent home but it would last for some time and I could probably house a snapper in said tank up to a fairly large size before needing another upgrade plus I could use my 2 ft by 2 ft panels and I'd only need to construct one more to add to the 180 for a 3D background and wait really?? No fish whatsoever? I've always kept fish on and off with my softshell with minimum casualties and my pond fish did fine but my softshell he spares feeders including crawfish and feeder fish ass well as some mbuna cichlids I keep in his tank they usually kill the feeders and eachother before he takes bites out I've actually seen it it's really odd so I guess he doesn't count, and my pond fish were the same size or bigger then the sliders so I guess that's out too either way if I was going to do wild caught I would quarenteen for some time first and the reason I'm interested is because id love some sunfish or Texas cichlids in my tank maybe even a small spotted gar or smaller catfish once I upgrade but I could see the catfish ending poorly so I'd probably steer clear of that. Lol and yeah I almost forgot it's funny you mention musk turtles and convicts my girlfriend found a musk and brought it to me recently and I originally thought about a mix of convicts and fire out cichlids for this tank. I've been debating keeping or releasing the musk, it's under an inch and supper personal it likes to come up to the glass and swim against it to see you idk looks like I might have 3 turtles along with my multiple large fish tanks now but that isn't a problem atleast not for me. I've attached a pic of the musk she brought me and I guess I'll attach a quick photo of the softshell when my snapper come in

View attachment 1174465
That's actually a Yellow-striped Mud turtle (Kinosternon baurii)

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
it looked more like a Common musk turtle (Sternotherus odorous) to me but I'm not a hundred percent

hay weston what state you in?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store