Alligator snapping turtle?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I'm sorry to hear about the turtle and I would have told you all the same stuff as TroyMIfishkeeper. one thing i would add is its a lot of stress to be shipped so one thing I do whenever I get a new animal is leave it in a warm dark place with plenty of water and food for at least 24 hours checking in every few hours. but i don't pick it up for at least a week. I do this with all reptiles and amphibians I get.(except snakes i offer them there first meal after a week)

and I don't have pics of my AST I sold mine a few years when he was about a foot but I'm going to get another one someday soon
Ok and l'll do that with any other turtle I receive but I doubt that had much to do with this individuals death. You've made me curious I'm just wondering now how many turtles do you have and what types have you kept in the past?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Could someone provide me with a in depth care sheet on alligator snapping turtles? Also what size aquarium would an individual need to house an adult alligator snapper over 2 ft as well as info on housing something small like a hatchling.
I know a AST could take out any fish you add to an aquarium but honestly what's the most turtle safe aquarium fish out their? Their has to be one I've seen the exibits just like the rest of you.
I was thinking large cichlids or common plecos? Maybe native wild caught fish would work? Basically which fish has the least casualties when housed with these animals?

My main question on alligator snappers has to be, What is the average expected size of a captive raised AST? I only seem to find their weight. With females being 60 pounds and males 150+ How big do females get In inches in captivity? Like how large can you expect your average female alligator snapping turtle to grow assuming the close to 3 ft measurments belongs to the male AST do females stay small enough for the in home aquarium and if not how the difference in weight?

Tigershark Tigershark

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Could someone provide me with a in depth care sheet on alligator snapping turtles? Also what size aquarium would an individual need to house an adult alligator snapper over 2 ft as well as info on housing something small like a hatchling.
I know a AST could take out any fish you add to an aquarium but honestly what's the most turtle safe aquarium fish out their? Their has to be one I've seen the exibits just like the rest of you.
I was thinking large cichlids or common plecos? Maybe native wild caught fish would work? Basically which fish has the least casualties when housed with these animals?

My main question on alligator snappers has to be, What is the average expected size of a captive raised AST? I only seem to find their weight. With females being 60 pounds and males 150+ How big do females get In inches in captivity? Like how large can you expect your average female alligator snapping turtle to grow assuming the close to 3 ft measurments belongs to the male AST do females stay small enough for the in home aquarium and if not how the difference in weight?

Tigershark Tigershark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store