Tadpole Serendipity! (Would someone be able to ID him?)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
We actually ended up running across some more tadpoles at a different store. We got two more in hopes to keep him company!! These ones are a little different but the lady insisted that they were also bullfrogs. They're a dark green with yellow bellies and shiny eyes.
The spotted one has seemed a lot happier and more active in the tank since I put the other two in!!!

Look at those three weirdos!

Sorry their tank looks a little plain right now but I bought a bunch of plants last night to put in there as well as some other decorations for them to climb over when they start to get their front legs. I'm excited! I'll post more pics of them as they progress!!
I'm interested in this thread...if all goes well for you I may try to catch some this year and raise them out. Bullfrog is one I've never kept.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Your Lfs has the crack dealer business model. Gives you a free taste (i.e. tadpole), you come back for more for life (i.e. a bazillion crickets to feed them).

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
Bullfrogs need massive enclosures, and tend to not do very well if it isn't provided. Very powerful jumpers, and they'll go straight into the glass. Be sure to not release it, they commonly have Ranavirus/Chytrid

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Bullfrogs need massive enclosures, and tend to not do very well if it isn't provided. Very powerful jumpers, and they'll go straight into the glass. Be sure to not release it, they commonly have Ranavirus/Chytrid
this guys makes a really good point i didn't even think of. Chytrid fungus is wiping out a lot of amphibians and some may already be endangered or extinct.....it's actually a very scary pathogen because of how quickly it kills.

Lil' Jenny

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Vegas
I'm interested in this thread...if all goes well for you I may try to catch some this year and raise them out. Bullfrog is one I've never kept.
They're doing quite well!! They're all growing super fast! Here's some updated pics of the three little taddlers hehe...

Lil' Jenny

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Vegas
this guys makes a really good point i didn't even think of. Chytrid fungus is wiping out a lot of amphibians and some may already be endangered or extinct.....it's actually a very scary pathogen because of how quickly it kills.
We've got a pretty good sized tank ready for when they're juveniles but we'll probably have to buy a bigger one for when they're adults especially since there's three of them now.
I've never heard about Chytrid fungus really until now... I live in the desert so frogs aren't too common here (unless you go out to a nature preserve). It was pretty interesting to read about but yeah that's way scary!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
We've got a pretty good sized tank ready for when they're juveniles but we'll probably have to buy a bigger one for when they're adults especially since there's three of them now.
I've never heard about Chytrid fungus really until now... I live in the desert so frogs aren't too common here (unless you go out to a nature preserve). It was pretty interesting to read about but yeah that's way scary!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chytridiomycota

I also think you have at least 2 different species as well Lil' Jenny Lil' Jenny

Reactions: Lil' Jenny
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store