To Build or To Buy

dallen2233

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2015
Texas
So let me start out with, I presently have a plywood tank, but as of this morning I found a leak in the bottom back corner. So total failure is becoming a real possibility. This brings me to the question, should I buy or build an all glass tank. I'd be looking for something like a 72"x30"x24" that'll fit on to one of my old stands. Previously it cost me about 190 for a piece of 1/2" plate 70"x23.5" when I was building my plywood tank. I've never built an all glass tank before and I guess my hesitation is the risk of vertical seams blowing apart if I mess something up.

The Leak:
The leak is due to my sting ray getting into the corner and chipping the pond shield with a snail shell. I think I hat it stopped but since the plywood got wet, it'll de-laminate here shortly. I had previously put a test piece outside to see how long it would take just in case something like this were to happen, and it didn't take long. I wish now that I used the marine grade plywood rather than the oak plywood.

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
At that size I would just purchase a new tank that's been professionally made unless you already had the glass just lying around. That's the dimensions of my 220 that I got for around a 1000 bucks. Used probaly get one half that price.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Unless you were getting the glass for free or next to nothing, you should just buy a new tank

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Build , build, build! Lol. I have built a few all glass and it's not hard. If your a complete zero hands on guy then no, don't build. But if you can use a caulking gun half decent then I say look for some old used tanks cut them up and re use the glass to build your new tank. You are more then welcome to PM me and I could guide you along.

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
I rather spend the money and avoid all the hassle of rounding up the glass and breaking them down and than building one with no guarantee at that size imo. 220s are fairly common and plenty of good deals on used ones and even new ones aren't that expensive but to each their own.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I would recommend a mix of both.

Basically, a standard 220 gallon is 72" long, 24" wide and 30" tall. What you want is 72" long, 30" wide and 24" tall.

Buy a cheap 220 off craigslist that hasn't been drilled. Then, remove one of long front or back panels, or just disassemble the tank altogether and resilicone all of the joints. Take the long piece and cut 6" off of it. Then silicone it in where the top was. Now you can cut the 6" strip of glass into two 30" long pieces and silicone them in for the bracing.

Now you will have your tank at craigslist prices.

Reactions: CANAMONSTER

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Brand new 220s here in Canada like the dimensions the op wants are 3k

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I would recommend a mix of both.

Basically, a standard 220 gallon is 72" long, 24" wide and 30" tall. What you want is 72" long, 30" wide and 24" tall.

Buy a cheap 220 off craigslist that hasn't been drilled. Then, remove one of long front or back panels, or just disassemble the tank altogether and resilicone all of the joints. Take the long piece and cut 6" off of it. Then silicone it in where the top was. Now you can cut the 6" strip of glass into two 30" long pieces and silicone them in for the bracing.

Now you will have your tank at craigslist prices.
This is exactly what I did for my last tank. Basically just flipped it. Safer bet is to take it all apart though then flip and buy one new piece for the front.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store