anyone have a fire eel in a community tank?

PJ1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2016
CT
looking to add a fire eel to my community tank, will have angels, bala sharks, gourami, BGK, ropefish, and possibly a couple other oddball additions whatever i manage to run into that will fit well. (open to any other suggestions) question is anyone have a fire eel in a community, tanks a 180 long. how do they do? eat? aggression towards other fish? any tips ? thanks
i understand he might eventually outgrow the tank, i do have access to a couple other larger tanks that he could get moved to way down the road.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I think they are pretty good in communities unless there are aggressive fish that will pick on them. Although they get large, they are pretty docile.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
The fire eel can get up to 36"+. There are several people that have them at a length of about 40". More commonly, they end up between 24-30" though.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I thought it was more common for them to crawl out and die. I would love a chunky eel in my community tank

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ yes they are escape artists, which means ALL openings, no matter how small must be sealed...

I had one before i got at about 14" and and hit close to 26" when it got out a very small opening where the filter return enters through the tanks lid...

They can be extremely finiky eaters to begin with, but once you get them onto a varied diet then its smooth sailing...

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Mine mostly eat bloodworms, but I mix in some red wigglers with them every other day and they have been doing well with those too. One of them eats more of the red wigglers than the other, and surprise, surprise, he is the bigger of the two. Not much longer but a ton thicker.

PJ1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2016
CT
i would imagine escape shouldnt be a problem i have a double top setup with 3/8ths glass plates on top of the water and a poly top above that, i cut the glass to fit the fluvals almost perfectly because i was worried about the ropefish escaping

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store