Fail-Safe Lures

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I have a lot of faves but here are some of mine.......... Worden's rooster tail in purple or black because it works for so many fish species all the time. I also like to use smith wick rattling rogues because they catch largemouth over 5 pounds pretty consistsntly other favorites include floating rap alas under 3 inches because they not only catch lots of fish they seem to catch more l m b over 10 pounds than any other lure. My favorite colors are teal blue green and purple because fish are able to see these colors. Many fish have trouble seeing orange yellow or red

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I have a lot of faves but here are some of mine.......... Worden's rooster tail in purple or black because it works for so many fish species all the time. I also like to use smith wick rattling rogues because they catch largemouth over 5 pounds pretty consistsntly other favorites include floating rap alas under 3 inches because they not only catch lots of fish they seem to catch more l m b over 10 pounds than any other lure. My favorite colors are teal blue green and purple because fish are able to see these colors. Many fish have trouble seeing orange yellow or red
love the rooster tails and smaller sized baits......glad to see I m not the only one who uses tiny smaller baits to entice the monstrous brutes. I agree sooooo much about floating/sinking Rebel/Rapalas in the 3" range picking up stuff WAY larger than expected.....my biggest LMB was24", 11.4lbs and hit on a Crickhopper AND a Teeeny-wee Crawfish, escaping by bending the WEE-hooks and dodging twice before I used the firetiger Shallow Shad-RAP 2 3/4" to finish the job. He hit 3 times in a few minutes and the only reason he was so hungry was cuz he spent his whole life dodging alligators.....or Gar, I suppose (Gulf Coast C. Florida - Tampa Area) Had a big piece of the bottom of his caudal fin missing when I unhooked and released him :) Same shape as a gator's mouth.

Never seen you around, but welcome to MFK. Nice to have you here, thanx 4 the reply

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks castle I have have had trouble with the hooks on rebel crayfish so I simply take the hooks off and replace them, on most of my crank sits I remove the front treble hook b cuz it alows me to avoid hooking into brush but let's me hook into fish.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I also like to fish purple curly tail worms without weights I just reel it to the desired spot and let it sink slowly this method works good for heavily pressured bass during the spawn. I have caught many huge fish on tiny baits including a 11 pond largemouth and lots of 5 pound spotted bass

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
The list for me is pretty big, but here's a few.

1) MI Stinger Spoons 3.25-5.50". Great trolling flutter spoon that works for any predatory species. The shape and thickness of the spoons give them an appealing movement at any speed from 1.0-5.0 mph which covers pretty much every predator in the Great Lakes. They also come in just about every color, pattern, and finish imaginable plus UV and or glow options.

2) Moonshine Spoons 3.50-6.00". One of my favorite spoons for Lake Trout that also works great for just about every species I've fished for with them. Every spoon this company makes incorporates unique glow patterns on the front and either a silver or double glow back. Works great when fishing in overcast conditions or deep water 70-200'+ down.

3) Flatfish Plugs. One of my most reliable plugs/Crankbaits in any size from 1-6". You can fish these at any speed but they have the best action when casted or trolled in the 0.5-2.0 mph range. Great Laker plug to B-B with especially using leadcore or copper. I've also caught Browns and Steelhead with it too. I'd imagine it would work great for Bass if they were suspended in open water or on the bottom in mid-depth water.

4) CP Swings. Just about any inline spinner is a go to for me when fishing for stream Trout and Bass, but this one takes the cake for producing the most fish for me over the years. As simple as it is, being a single willow blade above five golden beads, it out produces any other inline spinner I've used. My only complaints are that the wire body bends easily when it hits something and the hooks are a bit fragile (I usually change them), but they still hold up to big Trout and Steelhead for me.

5) Rebel Crawfish. An old classic for me, being the first crankbait I ever used. Works for everything from Bass and Trout to Sunfish and Perch. Fish seem to hit it regardless of size, I've even caught a 4" Smallie on a 3" lure! Can be fished as deep as you want by simply adjusting your retrieve rate.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The list for me is pretty big, but here's a few.

1) MI Stinger Spoons 3.25-5.50". Great trolling flutter spoon that works for any predatory species. The shape and thickness of the spoons give them an appealing movement at any speed from 1.0-5.0 mph which covers pretty much every predator in the Great Lakes. They also come in just about every color, pattern, and finish imaginable plus UV and or glow options.

2) Moonshine Spoons 3.50-6.00". One of my favorite spoons for Lake Trout that also works great for just about every species I've fished for with them. Every spoon this company makes incorporates unique glow patterns on the front and either a silver or double glow back. Works great when fishing in overcast conditions or deep water 70-200'+ down.

3) Flatfish Plugs. One of my most reliable plugs/Crankbaits in any size from 1-6". You can fish these at any speed but they have the best action when casted or trolled in the 0.5-2.0 mph range. Great Laker plug to B-B with especially using leadcore or copper. I've also caught Browns and Steelhead with it too. I'd imagine it would work great for Bass if they were suspended in open water or on the bottom in mid-depth water.

4) CP Swings. Just about any inline spinner is a go to for me when fishing for stream Trout and Bass, but this one takes the cake for producing the most fish for me over the years. As simple as it is, being a single willow blade above five golden beads, it out produces any other inline spinner I've used. My only complaints are that the wire body bends easily when it hits something and the hooks are a bit fragile (I usually change them), but they still hold up to big Trout and Steelhead for me.

5) Rebel Crawfish. An old classic for me, being the first crankbait I ever used. Works for everything from Bass and Trout to Sunfish and Perch. Fish seem to hit it regardless of size, I've even caught a 4" Smallie on a 3" lure! Can be fished as deep as you want by simply adjusting your retrieve rate.
another vote for Rebel Crawfish :D Unbelievable lure!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So what's everyone's favorite color for rebels crawfish? I usually use brown/ orange b cuz that's a common crayfish color

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
I'm not much of a lure guy, but there are some that I use

Panther Martin Deadly Six Trout Pack (this is my powerbait alternative)
when powerbait isn't working this stuff usually works. Since its a six pack I switch lures until one works. Gold or silver works 90% of the time, but I don't always catch trout on them. If its not a trout its ether a bass or sunfish of sorts.

Sorry that's all I've got for now, but I plan getting this crawfish you all praise.
I hope to experience its glory in full effect, since its starting to get too hot for trout. My local pond is only 20-25ft., but it was fun while it lasted

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store