Tig not eating

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Picked up a 7-8 inch tig from monster about a week ago and wont take tilapia or carnivore pellets..... is it just shrimp young tigs have digestive problems with?.....i wanted to try silversides......hes in a 180 long with my 2 marble pups and 3....6 inch armatus

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
I have had luck with beef hearts and silver sides with one of my tigs. Would try silversides.

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Also in a tank that size plus size of tig I always make sure they have some type of cover and usually drop what I'm feeding at the entrance at night and it's usually taken. Only have one I can't get off live. Other two eat pellets/frozen

Reactions: SandNukka15

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Also in a tank that size plus size of tig I always make sure they have some type of cover and usually drop what I'm feeding at the entrance at night and it's usually taken. Only have one I can't get off live. Other two eat pellets/frozen
So silversides are safe for them?

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
So silversides are safe for them?
Yes my 6in tig likes them. I just get whatever I'm going to feed thaw it good in a cup. I also feed krill the same way but I always made sure none of the krill had that hard shell on them. But I mainly stick with frozen beef hearts and pellets and silversides

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I feed my 6 mostly marine baitfish and pellets, just not crustaceans.

Tigs compete poorly for food especially with aggressively feeding tank mates and double especially during the adjustment period.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Thanks guys ill keep trying and wait it out.....

Everyone is shy in that tank ....no aggresive feeders

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
I have had luck with beef hearts and silver sides with one of my tigs. Would try silversides.
Same here, when feeding my discus beefheart, the tigs would grab the scrapes as well.

Thanks guys ill keep trying and wait it out.....

Everyone is shy in that tank ....no aggresive feeders
Tilapia has always been a favorite of tigs, mine anyways. Live black worms, catfish, tilapia, etc. Avoid shrimp, even at that size. Tigs r terrible hunters/feeders, even my discus can outcompete them for food. I have to literally drop the food in front of the tig, sometimes what I do is I take the frozen tilapia, hold it in the water over the tig, and I squeeze the tilapia meat, the tigs instantly start going crazy searching for food, then I drop the tilapia in front of the tig. Good luck my man, you'll do fine, just give them time

Reactions: SandNukka15

ceejaye23

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
Any tank mates that could also bothering the tig? My tigrinus (atleast), is bothered by any slight change in the tank. Adding a powerhead, airstones, tankmates such as clown loaches, geos, even a pleco. When that happens, it doesn't want to eat.

You might also want to consider this possibility.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store