Tank Leveling Gap HELP!! Please

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Okay those 2x4 are good. I was concerned the 4x4 post have the 2x6 screwed to the side with no support underneath. Just fyi the 4x4 is doing very little as is. If you redesign make sure to stack the supports on the 4x4 and it will be much stronger and lighter.

My guess is it's a strong but warped stand. It will be hard to fix but you could take off the plywood and use a straight edge to draw a straight line on the 2x6 horizontal beams and cut it with a circular saw. It's a bit hacky but it could work if you did it right. Better yet you build a new one reusing the straight wood and new straight horizontals... Not what you wanted to hear but it is the best option.

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
It looks like your tank stand top surface is warped in the centre, if you don't want to cut uprights or replace top surface of stand, you can place 1inch or 2 inch polystyrene under the tank depending on how unlevel the stand is, then fill tank with 25% water leave for 24 hours, then fill the tank up to 60% again leave for another 24 hours then fill tank to the top! the polystyrene will level the base of your tank out due to the weight of the water in the tank, this is a solution if you are unable to make adjustments to the stand,, the best solution is obviously to make the stand level and not warped

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
I have used this method on a 6ft tank in my fish room and have had no problems with tank, you need to make sure polystyrene has done its job and the tank is sitting on the polystyrene at both ends before you fill tank to top, or you might crack the tank

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If this stand cannot be made to work and you decide to build another, consider engineered lumber. It is my understanding the engineered lumber can be much more true with regard to having a crown or being warped.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
The top of that stand is warped.
Even if it appears level, the bottom of that tank is true, so only one other possible issue.. stands not level.

The foam option will be your best and likely only option for level that tank.
Or build a new stand. Sorry.

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015
I'd say rebuild the stand, could possibly be a cut that wasn't perfectly square, or a piece of twisted lumber. It doesn't take much to make something wobble corner to corner.

vonRies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2016
BUT the stand surface may be warped, especially around the edges.
It looks to me like one of your horizontal supports is warped.
As it appears your stand platform does not look even.
Looks like the stand is not true.
I took the longest factory cut edge I could find (the edge guard for the tank itself) and the stand itself appeared to be straight, with the exception of the front shelf (shelf to put misc. junk on). It is difficult to tell by just a photo (especially taken at an angle). The tank itself appeared to have one minor low spot in the middle but not enough to cause that much of a difference at the end.

...draw a straight line on the 2x6 horizontal beams and cut it with a circular saw.
If I was to attempt something like this I would use an electric planer as a circular saw would be much more difficult to make the precision trimming needed (in my opinion).

It looks like your tank stand top surface is warped in the centre,
The center appears to be fine by all indications, but it's rather difficult to tell by just a photo.

It is my understanding the engineered lumber can be much more true with regard to having a crown or being warped.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineered_wood
Engineered wood, also called composite wood, man-made wood, or manufactured board, includes a range of derivative wood products which are manufactured by binding or fixing the strands, particles, fibers, or veneers or boards of wood, together with adhesives, or other methods of fixation[1] to form composite materials. These products are engineered to precise design specifications which are tested to meet national or international standards. Engineered wood products are used in a variety of applications, from home construction to commercial buildings to industrial products.[2] The products can be used for joists and beams that replace steel in many building projects.[3]

Typically, engineered wood products are made from the same hardwoods and softwoods used to manufacture lumber. Sawmill scraps and other wood waste can be used for engineered wood composed of wood particles or fibers, but whole logs are usually used for veneers, such as plywood, MDF or particle board. Some engineered wood products, like oriented strand board (OSB), can use trees from the poplar family, a common but non-structural species.

Some good, some bad, and some great; basically you get what you pay for.

It doesn't take much to make something wobble corner to corner.
It is solid at a rock corner to corner, and does not rack in the slightest.

I think I will most likely lay down a sheet of foam (polystyrene etc.) then possibly another sheet of plywood, then another sheet of foam. As the two most common answers (other than rebuild) were to top it off with one or the other of these two products.

Again, thank you one and all for your suggestions.You all have been a great help, and I doubt that I would have had the idea to do that without you input,

vonRies

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
vonRies, not to throw a wrench in your plans, but most manufacturers of "braced tanks" like yours do not recommend placing the tank directly on top of styrofoam as it is designed to rest on a hard surface and one that does not crush.

vonRies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2016
"What do you guys think about 1/2" of self leveling concrete on top?" But I have no idea how much weight that would add.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store