Cichlid Guessing Game, CA/SA Cichlids Only!!

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
There are two fish in the heritchthys family that have been called texas cichlid for years.
Most of us here know the difference, the back ground story, the locations and all the other silly names associated.
There are plenty of other fish in the heritchthys family that never get tagged with the texas cichlid name.
You are not really telling us anything new or anything that has not been discussed many times before.
Like it or not most people just call them texas cichlids.
you ppl are just rude here... Like who cares if Im telling ppl something they already, those ppl then need to not reply then if we're going to have it that way... I wouldn't respond to something that someone was answering if it didn't apply to me..

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Common names are often regional. I'm not sure they are called that elsewhere. I had a heck of a time learning the new common names when I moved to this region back in the early 90's as they tended to use different ones than the ones I was used to in So Cal.

Which is why I prefer to use the scientific names, so everyone knows what you are talking about.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Common names are often regional. I'm not sure they are called that elsewhere. I had a heck of a time learning the new common names when I moved to this region back in the early 90's as they tended to use different ones than the ones I was used to in So Cal.

Which is why I prefer to use the scientific names, so everyone knows what you are talking about.
I'm in the UK and some of the American common names are different to the ones I've grown up with here.
Scientific names are far less confusing.
Look what common names did for rivulatus and stalsbergi.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Or the one that drives me completely nuts ... calling Geophagus sp. Tapajos Orangehead (it's predescribed name) a redhead. Ugh.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
You said a common name for a yellow labridens was Bartoni. Bartoni is a different species altogether one goes yellow when spawning the other black and white.

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
You said a common name for a yellow labridens was Bartoni. Bartoni is a different species altogether one goes yellow when spawning the other black and white.
Bartoni are already black and white so how do they go black and white when spawning... Carpintis also turn black and white when spawning and Texas cichlids do not... So now this is why ppl get confused on fish.. My point to my posting from the beginning

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store