Cichlid Guessing Game, CA/SA Cichlids Only!!

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
Carpintis also turn black and white when spawning and Texas cichlids do not... So now this is why ppl get confused on fish..
Herichthys cyanaguttatus certainly does change to dark and light, from front to back, just like H. carpintis.
People confuse the fish because they are very closely related and look similar. They share the same common name because of their similarity. Just like numerous other common names that refer to more then one species such as crocodile, zebra, elephant, and giraffe.

Reactions: Empyreal

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here is Nosferatu bartoni in normal coloration

and below, in spawning colors

To me the pearlscale, or pearl cichlid is Geophagus braziliensus, or at least that's the common name that goes back decades. I don't know the common name of bartoni, other than barton's cichlid. I usually don't use common names because the chance of getting something other than what you want is all too common.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016

To me the pearlscale, or pearl cichlid is Geophagus braziliensus, or at least that's the common name that goes back decades. I don't know the common name of bartoni, other than barton's cichlid. I usually don't use common names because the chance of getting something other than what you want is all too common.
I have 2 bartoni's and they are always that color... The black and white so idk

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016

What u just showed me is a female and a breeding male

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store