Thinking my male Carpinte Escondido isn't the man I thought (?)

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
I bought a Crapinte online as a male at around 3 inches and a year and a half later he's doubled in size but I'm starting to think it's a female. I did some research and now I'm pretty positive it's a female because she has a dark ridge along the dorsal ridge but I wasn't sure if that's absolutely definitive. The colors are a little washed out because he/she started sparring with my older female synspilum after a year and a half of peaceful coexistence. I just wanted to know if anybody with more experience with Carpintes could confirm the sex.FullSizeRender (7).jpg

Reactions: cichlidfish

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
definitely female....I have a pair of true Texas and when you look at the them next to each other the difference is obvious, but for now, i'm just gonna say if it was a male the dorsal and anal fin trailers would be much longer. The body shape is also more short and stout like my female

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
I bought a Crapinte online as a male at around 3 inches and a year and a half later he's doubled in size but I'm starting to think it's a female. I did some research and now I'm pretty positive it's a female because she has a dark ridge along the dorsal ridge but I wasn't sure if that's absolutely definitive. The colors are a little washed out because he/she started sparring with my older female synspilum after a year and a half of peaceful coexistence. I just wanted to know if anybody with more experience with Carpintes could confirm the sex.View attachment 1209758
Stunning!. Where did you purchase him/her?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store