FL wants to whitelist fish and destroy aquarium trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I look at Floridas invasive species situation from over here in Blighty, somewhere where it could never happen on a scale such as Floridas. Our climate ensures that.

I think Florida's situation goes back decades when, back then, governments just didn't understand the potential for ecological disaster. Laws were probably very slack, if there were laws at all back then.

Decades later, when they do fully understand the situation they're in, they now try and sort the problem out! Talk about bolting the gate after the prize bull has already escaped.

I feel for you hobbyists and other pet keepers on this forum because you lot know all about the invasive species situation and not one of you, I'd hope anyway, would ever let your pets go in the wild.

Unfortunately you're paying the price now from a time where past hobbyists and pet keepers just didn't understand that their actions would reap catastrophic divendends further down the line, that or they did understand and simply didn't give a feck!

It seems to me that a minority of selfish, ignorant pet keepers decades ago are spoiling the whole pet scene for the majority now.

It's hard to say how this is going to play out now, but I obviously feel for you guys.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Is it my imagination or are Fl government officials trying to bankrupt the state?
Your governor wants to kill its states biggest draw, and goose that lays golden eggs, Disney.
And others want to squash one of Fls profitable capital gains producing businesses, tropical fish.
What next, Bush Gardens or Universal?

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
I look at Floridas invasive species situation from over here in Blighty, somewhere where it could never happen on a scale such as Floridas. Our climate ensures that.

I think Florida's situation goes back decades when, back then, governments just didn't understand the potential for ecological disaster. Laws were probably very slack, if there were laws at all back then.

Decades later, when they do fully understand the situation they're in, they now try and sort the problem out! Talk about bolting the gate after the prize bull has already escaped.

I feel for you hobbyists and other pet keepers on this forum because you lot know all about the invasive species situation and not one of you, I'd hope anyway, would ever let your pets go in the wild.

Unfortunately you're paying the price now from a time where past hobbyists and pet keepers just didn't understand that their actions would reap catastrophic divendends further down the line, that or they did understand and simply didn't give a feck!

It seems to me that a minority of selfish, ignorant pet keepers decades ago are spoiling the whole pet scene for the majority now.

It's hard to say how this is going to play out now, but I obviously feel for you guys.
Thank you and well stated.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Is it my imagination or are Fl government officials trying to bankrupt the state?
Your governor wants to kill its states biggest draw, and goose that lays golden eggs, Disney.
And others want to squash one of Fls profitable capital gains producing businesses, tropical fish.
Exactly the snake is eating itself

Reactions: dogofwar

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
CO moved to a white list. At least subtropical, tropical and marine fish are unregulated and not subject to the list

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Not again...😒

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Desantis is eyeing a run for the White House in 2024 and trying to mobilize the conservative base. I like that he got rid of required permits for concealed carry. Disney enjoys way too many tax incentives here in FL and quite frankly theme parks are not the biggest draw to the state. The biggest draw to the state are retirees, a multi billion dollar sports fishery, and a multitude of outdoor activities. Disney could have been handled much more diplomatically and I do not agree with his full blown attack on the company. He went after them due to their support of *** rights; really stupid and I do not support his belief. Again, he is trying to make the news. Attack on Disney, flying illegal immigrants to Marthas Vineyard, etc. Politicians from both sides of the aisles are just cockroaches looking for power and money. The difference between Democrats & Republicans...NOTHING...they are both 2 cheeks from the same stinky, bloated azz.
Going after the fish and reptile industry is just sheer stupidity; makes absolutely no sense to me. At this juncture in life I cannot stand politicians, gov't over reach, the news, etc.
I am mainly a killifish breeder and belong to several conservation groups. I tend to focus on species that are either critically endangered or extinct in the wild. Once again we are going to have imbeciles who know little to nothing about what they are doing trying to regulate those of us who really do understand all the dynamics. Sound familiar?

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Back to the proposed law: Who proposed it and from where is the political support for it proceed?
This law was put forward by non-elected gov't officials mainly Florida Wildlife Conservation Commission (a gov't agency of officials not elected by voters). The support is coming from radical environmentalists and PETA. FWC does not appear to be listening to the Pet industry, fish farmers, hobbyist groups, etc. who are proposing a black list of prohibited species. FWC wants to put forward a white list of approved species which have been thoroughly researched regarding their environmental impact here. The problem is they only have @ 200 species that have passed this hurdle and the research process to get fish/reptiles on a white list can take years. They will put thousands of people out of work in the pet industry and make a bunch of honest people criminals overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store