Oscar EBJD and Raphael

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
In a 125 the Oscar really should be the only large cichlid. Anything else should just be dithers.
They are only juveniles right now - once larger the fights will get much more rough.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
In a 125 the Oscar really should be the only large cichlid. Anything else should just be dithers.
They are only juveniles right now - once larger the fights will get much more rough.
Yeah agreed. If you had maybe a 300+ tank you could do more. But as Deadeye said, 125 would be better for just one Oscar and maybe a few smaller fish.

Rainkaj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2023
Update! I’m getting a 150 with some crazy filtration power! Around 1100 GPH! I ordered my buffer fish for the Oscar to chase (I chose GT so it can stand its own against the Oscar but also heard many people aren’t too aggressive to it can chill w the EBJD). I’ve heard plenty of O and GT together but not much of them with an EBJD (I’d assume people are too afraid of how docile they are.) After a good amount of time for the two being together, the chasing has nearly stopped and the worst to happen is the EBJD will get a little frightened as the larger O approaches. I’m glad they get along but also means I didn’t need the buffer fish 😅. No further problems so far as the GT comes in tomorrow I’ll be sure to give pictures and updates. O hasn’t been making problems but does know for sure he’s the alpha 😹. GT comes in around 2” (supposedly) while my EBJD is around 1.25” a the O around 2.5”.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Gt really isn’t a great tankmate for either - they are quite belligerent compared to the other two.

Rainkaj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2023
Gt really isn’t a great tankmate for either - they are quite belligerent compared to the other two.
I’ve seen GT with likes of frontosa aswell as Oscar’s and pacu. I was more worried hearing they get bullied easily! But for more peaceful fish like frontoss (probably due to their size though) I feel as though growing together and then moving to a bigger environment won’t create too many problems. Of course problems can be expected with many different cichlid types but I’m prepared to make the decisions and sacrifices needed if the time comes for them. Always in the fish interest over mine!

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Um...A GT and an Oscar won't fit together long-term in any tanks you have right now...even with powerful filtration. You would now need something probably twice the size of the 150 long-term, honestly.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Also, I went to the fish store once and saw two green terrors with a much larger Oscar (Oscar was like 5-6 in while the terrors were like 3-4 in) and they beat up the Oscar to the point he had lost scales and much of his fins (and he was a beautiful Oscar color wise). The green terror, over time, will probably become the dominant fish, and you will most likely need to get rid of him after a few months.

Last edited:

Rainkaj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2023
Um...A GT and an Oscar won't fit together long-term in any tanks you have right now...even with powerful filtration. You would now need something probably twice the size of the 150 long-term, honestly.
Is this due to personality or size? Because if size idk considering I can see other tank with 3-4 Oscar’s in a 140-180?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store