Oscar EBJD and Raphael

Rainkaj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2023
Also, I went to the fish store once and saw two green terrors with a much larger Oscar (Oscar was like 5-6 while the terrors were like 3-4) and they beat up the Oscar to the point he had lost scales and much of his fins (and he was a beautiful Oscar color wise). The green terror, over time, will probably become the dominant fish, and you will most likely need to get rid of him after a few months.
Great to hear and know this. A lot of what I read was the opposite! I’ll be sure to watch out for this behavior if it begins to happen and avoid him getting harmed. If changes need to be made the Oscar is the main thing I plan to save.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Is this due to personality or size? Because if size idk considering I can see other tank with 3-4 Oscar’s in a 140-180?
1. Both personality and size, and 2. Whoever has 3-4 Oscar in a 140-180 gallon tank pushes it and is not a good role model for proper fishkeeping.

Green terrors are more sociable than some, but still can be nasty little critters; same for Oscars. Maybe they'll long-term cancel each other's aggression wise (best case scenario). But then you must deal with the possibility of cramped quarters, assuming both grow to anywhere between 10-15 inches.

Oh, and to add to that story above that I mentioned, the green terrors were the tank bosses and harrassed everything in the tank, including a pair of platinum convicts (about the same size as the Terrors, maybe a bit smaller) and, I believe, two large Frontosas (around the same size as the Oscar). The Oscar was hiding in a PVC pipe in the tank and only came out when the guy wiggled the pipe.

Rainkaj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2023
1. Both personality and size, and 2. Whoever has 3-4 Oscar in a 140-180 gallon tank pushes it and is not a good role model for proper fishkeeping.

Green terrors are more sociable than some, but still can be nasty little critters; same for Oscars. Maybe they'll long-term cancel each other's aggression wise (best case scenario). But then you must deal with the possibility of cramped quarters, assuming both grow to anywhere between 10-15 inches.
15 inches on an O or GT would be insane! They’d both definitely be separated or at least put into a much larger tank! Most of the GT I’ve read about have capped around 9-12 while the O’s around 11-13. Assuming the 15 inch potential, I’d definitely get them each their own larger setup. But I expect around between the sizes I given w the EBJD getting to around 6-9. I will see how each of their agro plays out as I keep them and have the LFS possibility if anything goes rye.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
15 inches on an O or GT would be insane! They’d both definitely be separated or at least put into a much larger tank! Most of the GT I’ve read about have capped around 9-12 while the O’s around 11-13. Assuming the 15 inch potential, I’d definitely get them each their own larger setup. But I expect around between the sizes I given w the EBJD getting to around 6-9. I will see how each of their agro plays out as I keep them and have the LFS possibility if anything goes rye.
My mistake, I wasn't clear about which fish got bigger, lol. The Green Terror would probably max out at around a foot, but the Oscar with proper care could easily get to the 15-inch mark. The EBJD would probably become fish food, or at least an easy bully target since it only grows to around the 8-9 inch mark.

Isn't Brick around the 14-15-inch mark FINWIN@?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yes, FINWIN FINWIN ’s Oscar Brick is 15 inches, maybe more.
It’s not an impossible mix in a 150, but you just have to be ready for things to go south at any point. It really just takes either one to decide one day that it doesn’t want to share space anymore.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
My mistake, I wasn't clear about which fish got bigger, lol. The Green Terror would probably max out at around a foot, but the Oscar with proper care could easily get to the 15-inch mark. The EBJD would probably become fish food, or at least an easy bully target since it only grows to around the 8-9 inch mark.

Isn't Brick around the 14-15-inch mark FINWIN@?
He is. It's hard to get an official measurement because he bends up when the ruler is near the tank. If I tape it to the glass he swims away from it. So the best I can do is the 'hand' method. From my wrist to the tip of my index finger is exactly 8 inches. Brick's about twice that. Taking him out for a ruler isn't worth it. When he was 12 inches he gave me a bath moving him (had to change all my clothes).

I will be doing a full timeline for Brick with pics pulled from the archives. All of his red morphs, size, and relationship with Boss the parrot. He'll be 5 in December.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
10 inches for an oscar is a small adult. I've seen monster ones in public aquariums, 17-18 inchers tall as plates. But they're o-l-d. Those smaller oscars you see as big probably were raised in 55s or 75s. Anybody trying to keep multiple oscars in small tanks is bananas.

10-11" smaller Os
12-14" standard Os
16-18" monster Os

To be clear, your oscar has to have the dna to be huge along with care and tank size. Since 95% of their growth is in the 1st year its vital to gain max size in that window. Then see what happens after that.

I had a thread on oxygenation and how it also influences growth. Oxygen and fish growth...it's true! | MonsterFishKeepers.com

Last edited:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Update! I’m getting a 150 with some crazy filtration power! Around 1100 GPH! I ordered my buffer fish for the Oscar to chase (I chose GT so it can stand its own against the Oscar but also heard many people aren’t too aggressive to it can chill w the EBJD). I’ve heard plenty of O and GT together but not much of them with an EBJD (I’d assume people are too afraid of how docile they are.) After a good amount of time for the two being together, the chasing has nearly stopped and the worst to happen is the EBJD will get a little frightened as the larger O approaches. I’m glad they get along but also means I didn’t need the buffer fish 😅. No further problems so far as the GT comes in tomorrow I’ll be sure to give pictures and updates. O hasn’t been making problems but does know for sure he’s the alpha 😹. GT comes in around 2” (supposedly) while my EBJD is around 1.25” a the O around 2.5”.
Its entirely possible that the JD is the actually the one harassing the O and youre just not seeing it.

It seems to me that Os are territorial mostly based on food, when the feeder (you) is in the room youll most likely see the O chase the JD off in an effort to hog the food.

JD are a bit more devious imo, more territorially aggressive. They will lurk and ambush larger fish when they get a chance, going for lethal body shots instead of constant tail nipping/chasing. This is most likely happening when youre not around though.

Rainkaj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2023
Update! Day 1 with GT him and Oscar weren’t too bad he chased the GT about the same as the JD. I’m not worried about the EBJD being dom I can definitely tell the O is winning the tank. But come home today on day 2, the GT and O are lip locking. Immediately seen the aggression now I move the GT to a temporary 20 gal until the other 55 is resealed. Brother is taking the GT, Oscar is the focus of the tank. I am glad that him and the EBJD show good interactions now with no aggression or chasing. They have become good tank mates, but a sour roommate had to be removed. Neither of them ever bothered the smaller EBJD though which I do find surprising.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store