California drought

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Fortunately I love succulents and cactus and other low water plants so putting in a xeriscape was done for beauty rather than water conservation. I don't think anyone but those with the biggest fish rooms use very much water on their tanks. Best tips for saving water - shorter showers, water efficient washing machines/dish washers, never leave the water running "for just a few seconds", use tank water to water plants, plant trees, less water balloon fights. The things you do every day are the ones to start with first.
hello; Good suggestions. In addition, a couple of things I do to save water.

Before taking a shower I run the water into a bucket until it starts to be warm. I use that water in my washing machine.

I run a dehumidifier during the cold months to keep the humidity down. I also use that water in a washing machine.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
You can also reduce the water changes by incorporating external plants as nitrate absorbers. Since plants utilize nitrogen for growth they act as a filter for the tank by taking those nitrates out and using for growth. It's the basic theory of aquaponics. People in Australia have readily adapted to it as they deal with water issues similar to California. Many people simply put Philodendron/Pothos roots directly in the tank and let the plants do what they do.

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
Something I might also try is collecting the cold water that comes out of the shower at the beginning and storing that in a big barrel. Yea it's not much and will take a while but if everyone saves a little bit there could be a difference.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Any updates on the conditions faced with regard to the california drought. Any new restrictions or expenses to report?

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
Not yet, the media seems to have stopped covering the topic so in the eyes of most of society, it is no longer the issue it should be. I have heard though that they will be limiting water usage to I believe 90 (this number may be wrong) gallons of water per day per resident. So in my home of 3, we would be limited to 270 gallons of water a day. Also I heard that apartments will start lowering rent in exchange for tenants to pay their personal water bills every month, this I think is brilliant. Where it's been implemented, water usage was cut down by 60% I believe it was.

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
Hello; Any updates on the conditions faced with regard to the california drought. Any new restrictions or expenses to report?
Not yet, the media seems to have stopped covering the topic so in the eyes of most of society, it is no longer the issue it should be. I have heard though that they will be limiting water usage to I believe 90 (this number may be wrong) gallons of water per day per resident. So in my home of 3, we would be limited to 270 gallons of water a day. Also I heard that apartments will start lowering rent in exchange for tenants to pay their personal water bills every month, this I think is brilliant. Where it's been implemented, water usage was cut down by 60% I believe it was.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; This makes sense. Having people pay for what they use should focus their attention.

90 gallons per day adds up to 2700 gallons per person in 30 days. That seems a lot of water use to me. I live in an area that, so far, has not had a serious water shortage. Even so, my water use is mostly under 1000 gallons per month. While I do not "need" to be so conservative with water, it is a part of my general notion to have a small "environmental footprint" when possible.

I rarely wash cars and use some of the water coservation methods already mentioned. I fitted low flow shower heads with on/off buttons so I can shut down the water flow during portions of a shower is one not previously mentioned.

Probably the single biggest contribution to conservation (water conservation or otherwise) I have made was the decision to be childless. Back in the mid 1970's after finishing my undergraduate degree in Biology and during graduate course work in ecology, I realised some serious problems were on the way. I decided to remain childless as most of the looming issues were population related.
I did have some small hope that the looming issues would be solved. But alas it was not to be as the anticipated problems have come into being. It took a bit longer for some things to reach a serious stage than I had anticipated but they are here now. I have been lately thinking along the lines that the conservation cause is pretty much lost. I have considered giving up and breaking the "faith" by buying a muscle car in my golden years. I always wanted one but felt they had too much of an environmental impact. I ramble.

I am not sure how the adjustments in the climate patterns will play out over time. The process is in flux and may be so for some decades or centuries. California may not remain in a serious drought pattern in the long term but seems likely to be so for the near future. Weather and climate patterns may well go thru unusual cycles for a long time in many places.

I imagine the migration from California has begun for some. Let us hope it does not rival the migration from the "dust bowl" of the 1930's.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Around my area it's 50G per day per person...no one use that much water in a day (week days)!...Might be a bit close to that limit cap on weekend with all the cleaning lol Also, I don't favor a large water change each time on fish tank, I did 10% each time 1 a week or every other weeks, I do use ton and ton of plans (pothos) to reduce the nitrate and its work wonderful :p
*Best just don't over feed or over stock your fish tank then you don't have to do water change more often.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store