California drought

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
I think i will saw mine off at barrel height.
Someone mentioned on here sometching about re using water and it made me think, is there a way to "purify" old tank water into clean tap water?
I would assume it would be a bit pricey but we rarely get rain here in Los Angeles so I won't be harvesting much rain water so I think if possible it may be a better option

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; From time to time over the last 50+ years I have had numerous tanks and at other times only had one small tank running. My reasons were never about water shortage but were compelling enough. Usually had to do economic issues, having to travel for work or limited options in a rental place. The point being I never had to be without at least one tank, even if small. Living in an area with drought conditions estimated to be the worst in 1200 years would likely push me to having fewer and/or smaller tanks.

My tanks have rested in storage quite well and can be set back up when condition change. I have four tanks sitting empty in the basement now. I have three running since moving into my current home. I just do not want to fool with more tanks at this time.

I understand that reducing the number or size of tanks is not desireable when a fish keeper is at a hot stage of the hobby. It was hard a couple of times for me to cut back when i really wanted more and bigger tanks. Practical reasons, often economic, forced the issue.

One interesting effect has been that I learned to appreciate the smaller species of freshwater to a greater degree. These can be as satisfying in their own way as any other aspect of fish keeping.

Good luck

Botiadancer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
California
Fortunately I love succulents and cactus and other low water plants so putting in a xeriscape was done for beauty rather than water conservation. I don't think anyone but those with the biggest fish rooms use very much water on their tanks. Best tips for saving water - shorter showers, water efficient washing machines/dish washers, never leave the water running "for just a few seconds", use tank water to water plants, plant trees, less water balloon fights. The things you do every day are the ones to start with first.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
We need new policies. Agriculture and hydraulic fracturing use WAY more water than residential sector.

Farmers using flood irrigation techniques instead of sprinklers waste huge amounts of water. More than a slip and slide or pool in your yard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store