Search results

1. M

best sand color?

my tank is a 75 gallon Tangy tank with many different color fish. the sand i use is pool filter sand, this stuff is very heavy and very smooth. its a breeze to clean and the fish really enjoy the texture of the sand. go to my page to view pics. like Joebel said the cichlid combo sand is very...
  2. M

Frontosa Feed

I agree with FLESHY 100% on this. Fish will eat pretty much anything that you put in the tank and its up to use to provide them with the best nutrients and diet that we can. i have mostly read that the best plant matter to feed cichlids is food that contains spirulina. i use Nutrafin Max...
  3. M

Frontosa Feed

i agree with this totally, in "captivity" they are omnivores. most Tangy's are
  4. M

Frontosa Feed

Great information here, thanks Mike. i never would have thought that fish would ingest air form an air stone. my fish have always stayed clear of it. everything that i have gathered here, the best solution or best prevention to such condition of float is feed Frontosa sinking food. i use a mix...
  5. M

Frontosa Feed

alright can we all debate this because ive been reading a lot of info on this condition called Float. ive read that it happens to all frontosa no matter what kind of food as long as it floats. ive also read that this condition will only happen to wild caught because they are deep water fish...
  6. M

Frontosa Feed

What would be the scientific name for this "injesting of air"? also i have heard that frontosa's will get a diseas called "Float" from feeding off the top of the water. is this only with wild caught frontosa or is this for all?
  7. M

Frontosa Feed

:iagree:
  8. M

Combination question

i pretty much have everything you just mentioned in my tank. with a couple of exceptions. i was always sceptical when wanting to purchase Duboisi's. i hear they can be pretty teritorial, and also doesnt there diets conflict with the others<--not sure. anyway if the black calvus doesnt pan out...
  9. M

Frontosa Feed

he is a biology professor at U of H and co-owner of the biggest fish store in Houston TX. lets not redirect the thread
  10. M

Frontosa Feed

i was actually in the market for the same thing. i really wanted to try NLS but no one in the Houston area sold NLS so i was forced to look online. i just couldnt bring myself to spend $25 + on food for my fish. dont get me wrong i want the best for them i really do, but to spend that much money...
  11. M

I.D. Please

this fish does not have spots but its not all black either. is this a Nangu Comp? or would u just call this a black comp? ive never had a wild caught fish, i could tell the difference as soon as i put the fish in the tank by how it acts. also will a black comp mate with a yellow comp?
  12. M

how to get my Africans to grow a little quicker

feed twice a day. pellets or flakes (vegetables for cichlids) in the morning and frozen food (frozen krill, brine shrimp, blood worms)at night. blood worms are probably the best
  13. M

I.D. Please

how rare are black comps? ive never seen one and there is very little info and pics online. i have a black calvus and a yellow comp in the same tank, and all 3 fish look so different (body wise). the head on the black comp is so much bigger than the others. how typical is it to have morphs of...
  14. M

I.D. Please

its not a calvus, notice there are NO white spots. and look at the head, the high sloping says its a comp.
  15. M

I.D. Please

ive sent mike 2 messages, were you at buddy??? pharoah do you have any idea as to what i have here? ive called everyone i know that has any idea about cichlids and no one can give me any info on this fish. i thinks its some kind of morph or soemthing, i cant find any pics online that closely...
  16. M

I.D. Please

yesterday i was calling around to all of my LFS, because thursday's they get there cichlid shipments, and this guy tells me he has a wild caught 3 1/2 inch Black Nangu Compressiceps. i almost hit the floor. this fish is extremly rare and for it to be wild caught was just iceing on the cake...
  17. M

Favorite African Cichlid?

Black Compressiceps. i just got him today! im really excited about this fish. from what ive found online, the fish is pretty rare
  18. M

mike beautiful 2nd fish! whats the species?
  19. M

1st pic is a Compressiceps 2nd pic is a Black Calvus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store