Wet Dry Trickle Filter?

dwilder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2008
florida
cchhcc;3427580; said:
Good posts.

Regarding the "more oxygen theory," it's more of a situation of "more than ENOUGH" doesn't improve effectiveness.

Generalizing here.....A given amount of media is more effective in a wet/dry situation than a submerged one, but supplying that wet/dry media with pure O2 wouldn't improve its performance over atmospheric air.
i agree this is what i meant

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
dwilder;3427463; said:
the more oxygen the bacteria has available the more efficient the bacteria can work so a certain amount of bacteria can basically work harder if it has plenty of oxygen like a wet dry provides
this isnt entirely bacteria have set requirements to discribe this better lets say they need 3 parts oxygen 2 parts ammonia/nitrite and 2 parts water if you give them 10 parts of oxygen , 2 parts of ammonia and 2 parts water there only going to use the 3 parts oxygen

however the reason a wet dry works is because it makes sure that oxygen is never an issue its ok to have too much its not ok to have too little

dwilder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2008
florida
of course everything has its limits but oxygen levels do effect the way the way the bacteria Low levels of dissolved oxygen limit the ability of nitrifying bacteria to convert ammonia and nitrite, so it is important to monitor dissolved oxygen http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA031 wet dry filters allow plenty of oxygen and are very efficient

mymindseye81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Houston TX
first off thank you to everyone that has contributed to this post so far. all very interesting. now for more explanation on my filter system. i have a CPR over flow box which uses gravity to pull water down into the first chamber of my sump. when the water is being pulled downward it is also mixing with air that is being pulled down with it. this air is then pulled through the sump (air bubbles are visible) into my second chamber which passes over a medium sized filter pad and under neath that is a fine filter pad and then my bio balls are last. the space in between the fine filter pad and the bio balls is not much, if any. the bio balls are completely submerged. which brings me to another question, at this point are the bio balls even worth it, couldn't they just be replaced with more filter media? im trying to find the most effeciant, most advantages way to use my filter system.

ps. 6 live plants in the tank=more oxygen

dwilder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2008
florida
if the bio balls are completely submerged then there are better medias for submerged systems but as long as water quality is fine then dont worry about it

bgcoop8784

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Augusta GA
a ceramic type media normally does better in fully submerged situations than the bio-balls, but as stated before, if your water quality as good now, i wouldn't worry about changing. and as far as adding the other filter, as long as your rinse it in tank water every time instead of replacing it, you are actually adding more area for bacteria to colonize on. you aren't hurting a thing as long as you aren't restricting your water flow too much.

mymindseye81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Houston TX
ttt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store