Search results

1. screaminleeman

Bowfin and bichir

I have kept Bichirs with Bowfins with only one minor issue ever. They rarely interact, and do seem to avoid each other in my tanks. In the heated aquarium the Bowfin is less active than the Bichirs, and vice versa in the unheated indoor tank.
  2. screaminleeman

Is it okay to do a 75% water change?

I don't keep sensitive fish species. I change over 75% in a clip almost always. Only once I managed to "kill" some fish. I left a 125 G outdoor pond siphoning while eating Dinner and forgot about it. I remembered hours later and filled it back then. The couple of juvenile Koi kicked the...
  3. screaminleeman

alligator gar pond

I tried this year putting a gator gar into my spring fed farm pond. I sure hope that you are wrong that they cannot take "near" frozen temperatures. I am 0 for 22 with attempts with Florida gar. That said I have had from best I can tell 100% success with LNG in the same pond. The temperature...
  4. screaminleeman

Spirulina

The variety of Green(s) is indeed phenomenal and I can't suggest any plant based food to purchase that will out perform NLS Algaemax. Part of the "challenge" of fish keepers using NLS products exclusively is IMO solely due to it's price being extremely expensive. I can tell you for certain...
  5. screaminleeman

If your favorite pet and a stranger fell into a lake, which would you save first?

I hate my species at times. I grew up in Baltimore FFS. Commuting on 695 to work makes me bug-eyed and vein-popping out of the neck P.O'd. A "stranger" you ask? From Baltimore? Oh hell yeah I am saving my pet. Most likely in the Baltimore area the (and I use the term EXTREMELY LOOSELY)...
  6. screaminleeman

Has anyone kept large mouth bass?

I had one outgrow a 115 gallon from September 2013 - April 2014. My nephews were seining for minnows and a 1"er they caught looked more like a LMB baby than the three types of minnows that were prevalent in the area. It was indeed a LMB. It was moved to my spring fed farm pond in early April...
  7. screaminleeman

Over Wintering Gator Gar Outside?

I am uncertain exactly how that works. Is TS from Canada? The extreme southern portion of Maryland is the northern most Cyprus "swamp" and is a natural habitat for gator gars. I do have numerous springs feeding my pond, and it has never 100% frozen over entirely since I moved in 1979. With...
  8. screaminleeman

Glowing tank water

Yeah, they were labeled Mean Greenies. It took me a month to clear it!
  9. screaminleeman

bowfin didn't last long.

I have a convict cichlid ~ 3.5" that regularly attacks an 8" bowfin. Sorry for your loss. Male Bowfins are more tolerant than their female counterparts. I have successfully kept dozens of Bowfins from fry ~ 1-2" to 20+ inches. Here are a couple of observations that I have noticed. 1. I...
  10. screaminleeman

Feeding live white grubs to fish

I use no pesticides of any type in the potting soil in the vegetable containers. They are the super cheap Walmart special (14 gallon) < $5.00. I drill numerous 3/4 inch holes in the bottom of each, and line the bottom and sides with non-chemical weed fabric, before filling with potting soil...
  11. screaminleeman

Feeding live white grubs to fish

Is it safe to feed pet fish white grubs? These were all collected from planting containers finished growing their crops for the year.
  12. screaminleeman

Can I do anything to help my gar

You should first, if you do not have it already, post "no trespassing/ private property" signs posted around the area. A bow is a dangerous weapon. You SHOULD feel threatened especially when they told you t F off. Call the cops on them to report the crime and lay it on thick the personal...
  13. screaminleeman

What fish can I have in a .5 gallon tank?

As others have said, this is not suitable for any fish. You need 10X that size minimum to comfortably home 1 beta. I can think of a couple excellent uses for it though. It can be used as a "clear cave structure" within a larger tank setup. It would also work like a champ as a stagnant...
  14. screaminleeman

Best Live Feeder for Predatory Fish !!!

Jewel cichlids also worked well, but they are not as prolific breeders so I switched to Convicts.
  15. screaminleeman

Zeke's baby longnose gars

Ditto. That is the absolute norm for me however. In fact, this general behavior that I have experienced in this hobby and MFK has basically given me disdain for fish keeping and can't even get rid of my tanks posting in MFK for I assume this very reason. A better thread maybe would be finding...
  16. screaminleeman

FS - Tanks full setups - Westminster, MD - Pickup Only

Pics are from 2011. Same fish, with battle scars on mouth from the Butti. Tilapia.
  17. screaminleeman

FS - Tanks full setups - Westminster, MD - Pickup Only

I am clearing my basement of many tank setups. I wanted to start small and work up. $20 - 5 Gallon glass aquarium setup with two lead air pump and two small seeded sponge filters and slim marineland LED light. (Female Betta, Mokreb self cloning crayfish and feeder guppies in tank, free with...
  18. screaminleeman

Are we really treating our fish right?

Just out of curiosity, where do you find NLS or Hikari Massivore delight cheap? I am paying in the neck of the woods of $60 for 5 pounds of NLS and $50 for 2 pounds of Massivore delight. I mean $12 per pound to $25 per pound is beyond UBER expensive IMO. I though my dog was spoiled rotten...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store