Search results

1. D

125, 55, 30, 20H, & other misc.

where are you located?
  2. D

Fish Stores in Missiouri?

It's a big state. There is one on the Missouri side of the KC/MO area called Blueridge Pets that's pretty good. They get in rare fish sometimes and will do special orders.
  3. D

catfish has algae growth?

I was under the impression that Velvet is more of a translucence on the skin than actual spotting. Makes fish look gold tinted.
  4. D

ph question??

I keep tannin rich drift wood and add peat tea in fixed amounts with water changes to keep the PH steady. My fish are all blackwater compatible so they love it. That's only something I use because of a PH of 10 from the tap though. not for everyone obviously.
  5. D

Huge fish that can cohab with tiny fish?

I know the perfect fish, but it won't meet your requirements of fresh water. Dragon gobies get about 2 feet long, look impressive, and are FILTER FEEDERS. They are also brackish, so I admit that they don't count. You can, however, keep an adult dragon goby with any brackish fish larger than...
  6. D

ph question??

In all honesty it depends on your water. The water where I am is so alkaline (talking a 10 from the tap) that it takes a LOT of acidic additives to change it at all. They don't intentionally put any sort of buffers in tap water that I am aware of so I'd have to call:bs: on that guy.
  7. D

Help guys, my RD is really worryin' me

:uhoh: I have never heard of a fish with an anxiety disorder or depression before but wow ... really sounds like it in this case ... Strange. Maybe they will eventually become like dogs and understand human facial expressions and hand gestures. :D
  8. D

Jungle no more algae ?

Usually they are formulated for fresh water in my experience. Assume fresh unless they say salt or have salt water creatures on the packaging Also, (sorry for preaching) the better solution to an algae overgrowth issue is to address the source of the algae. There are many articles online...
  9. D

Poor Red Tail Barracuda...

Poor guy, I wonder what happened.
  10. D

New PICS of my DISCUS TANK!!

The plants and fish all look beautiful and healthy :) A couple of artistic comments. You might want to drop your focal point (center clump of anubis) a bit closer to the middle of the tank vertically. The bright blue in the backdrop looks good on the fish but it's not the best color partner...
  11. D

catfish has algae growth?

Golden Ick? I've only ever seen it be white. I have seen golden dojo loaches get spots like that because of poor water conditions. Treat for Ick just in case, but be sure to check into other possibilities. It could be a reaction the fish is having to something else in the water, a new food...
  12. D

BLOAT - Photos & Treatment

I was wondering, does bloat ever happen because of age? I had a beta who turned into a sad, listless, pine-cone at 4.3 years old. It was a general scale standing with no tummy area bulge or anything. He just looked like he had been inflated. Nothing helped him and eventually he died. I...
  13. D

In desperate need of a pet ferret

If you can get one, Critter Nation cages are perfect for ferrets as a sleeping place. I have one for my rats and a friend has one for her chinchilla. they are the best cages. They are also easy to clean, major plus with musky pets like male rats and ferrets.
  14. D

PLANTS all the sudden dying.

Are you checking your phosphate levels? High phosphates can cause melting, I lost a lot of java fern to that a while ago when I switched to masivore pellets (phosphates skyrocketed right after the change) Overcrowding can cause melting too. Any pics of the tank?
  15. D

New pike!

She is beautiful. Looks a lot like mine did when I first got her, except for the spangling. I haven't seen that sort of behavior in mine though, except when she was in with a much more aggressive fish. She would play dead to get him to leave her alone. I ended up trading him for some...
  16. D

African and south cichlids

If you're looking for attractive fish to keep in the 55, I'd suggest firemouths. I've got one and he's really entertaining. They are supposed to get to 5 inches.
  17. D

Best Algae Eaters?

It depends also on the kind of algae you want to get rid of. If it's a long algae then SAE (Siamese Algae Eaters) are the best. They eat any sort of algae and get about 3 inches long. Do your research before buying them though, flying foxes will be sold under the wrong name sometimes and they...
  18. D

what to do with alot of 10s

If you're using one or more as a sump, you could (yes I know I recommend this a lot) put a UV Sterilizer in the sump tank. You'll be doing something REALLY wrong if you get ick or any other waterborne illness spreading through your tanks if you run a sterilizer.
  19. D

what to do with alot of 10s

That's a neat idea. I was thinking that they could be setup on a big shared filtration system like they use at some small LFSs.
  20. D

what do you all do?

Software engineer turned quality assurance analyst. In short I judge people's life's work for a living, but you learn a lot about a person when it's your job to tell them what's wrong with their work. Diggin' the car work too. My husband and I did a lot of bonding over the motor and...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store