Search results

1. L

Large water changes

I do enough water changes to keep nitrAtes below a certain level. If that means doing 2 or 3 60-70% water changes PER WEEK. Even in tanks where nitrAtes are not an issue, I do a minimum of 50% water change once per week, to prevent shock to the fish. If you change your water often enough, then...
  2. L

Giant Danios as Dithers?

Mine liked swimming against the current of the FX5 outflow. That's the only place I ever saw them!
  3. L

What HOB filter is the BEST??

Aquaclear is the best HOB I've ever had. Not tried the Fluvals, but AC is made by Hagen. I love the large chamber room for biomedia in the AC's it's the closest to a canister you can find. I always cut the sponges in half lengthwise like this |-----| and only use one half for mech, and the rest...
  4. L

Eheim Canisiter Alternate Media

Seachem Matrix would work, I'd imagine. And you never have to replace it since it doesn't degrade. That's what I plan on putting in my Eheim I just bought.
  5. L

i need some advice to save my ell

You can add more hiding places to make him feel more secure. Are there any other fish in the tank? If you don't have any plants, then I would recommend leaving the light off for him to become more comfortable. You can try offering him cut up pieces of tilapia fillet, that's what got both of mine...
  6. L

Lights and Substrate

LoL, I hadn't read your post, and was saying I'd find something better than Flourite for them, and was suggesting Eco-Complete. I'm having a blonde day.
  7. L

Lights and Substrate

Corydoras barbels are very fragile, I'd find a better substrate. What consistency is Eco-Complete? I've never used it, but I've heard it's good for growing plants. I just use regular TOP SOIL from the hardware store as the first 2-3 inches of substrate, plant the plants and cover it in pea...
  8. L

Anglefish Stocking Help Needed

Are you testing your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte? Until you know those numbers you won't know if your tank is cycled, and if you will need to do water changes, since the fish are already in there. Here's a good link on fishless cycling if you decide to take them out and go that...
  9. L

There are a few blatant problems with the stocking suggested by Charles-n-charge. (Sorry.) African butterfly fish are territorial and big waste producers. You wouldn't want one in a 20 gallon with small fish, they will eat them (much less two.) You won't want a chinese algae eater either...
  10. L

Here are some first hand experiences with angelfish to help you imagine the range of neurotic behavior displayed by angelfish (which are typically peaceful.) 1) Spawn - 1/2 black veiltale, 1/2 wild peruvian He was a killer, killed all of his angelfish tank mates, even with upwards of 8 of them...
  11. L

Well you guys were right...

When I first read the title of this thread, I was going to find a witty internet pic/caption for it, but then I read the thread, and it's not what I was expecting at all. Sorry for your loss, thanks for sharing your tragedy, so we can all learn and take appropriate actions.
  12. L

Fluval FX5. It's more than just a filter, it's a way of life

I would imagine, if you angle the outflows correctly, the water current will sweep any solid waste directly into the filter intake. If that's the case, then you can use the extra valve that comes with the filter, and hook it up to a long hose and the output, and just use the filter as a fast...
  13. L

Visible Nitrates but not cycled

There is an intermediary stage of cycling where you can possibly have all three showing up in the tank. Are you adding ammonia every day (in one form or another?) Are there fish in the tank? This just indicates that you have SOME ammonia eating bugs, and SOME nitrIte eating bugs, but not enough...
  14. L

To easily remove free floating moss from the strainer. Could you imagine trying to clean it out through the tiny hole in the top where the tube is inserted? This feature has been a necessity on more than one occasion. Big goldfish + Moss on a log = moss no longer on log, and instead growing from...
  15. L

Canister Filter Question

If you are looking for the biomedia capacity of a canister, and the price-factor of a marineland, buy another type of HOB filter. You can get an AquaClear HOB for much less than either of those. You should really cut the sponge in half and add more biomedia than it comes with (ceramic rings...
  16. L

Bahahahahahahaha!

If I'm not mistaken, species of rattle snakes are immune to their own venom. Maybe that's certain elapidae species I'm thinking of. I'm pretty rusty on my hot-herp knowledge, it's been too long... *le sigh* EDIT:: and that guy needs a disclaimer, someone could be maimed or killed and then blame...
  17. L

Nikola Tesla...did you know?

You know, Prometheus was tied to a rock to have his liver eaten by a bird every day for all eternity for giving man fire. Anyway, maybe there's a common thread in the myth and the man.
  18. L

Lights and Substrate

I believe that the K has to do with the frequency of the light. Like, the lower numbers are in the blue part of the spectrum and the higher numbers are in the red-end of the light spectrum. A higher number does not necessarily mean "more light output." If I'm wrong, someone please feel free to...
  19. L

If you have a bare bottom, you can use the extra attachment to pump the old water into the toilet or outside (or however you get rid of your dirty water.) The only benefit to that is faster draining of the tank.
  20. L

escape proof?

Here's what I fashioned for my brackish tank with eels. I'll also be doing the same for my planted tropical tank, but it will have a space across the middle to make room for the light, since the egg crate alone (not including the screen material) obstructs too much light...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store