Large water changes

How much water do you change?

• 50% or more weekly with no effects

Votes: 61 54.5%
  • Less than 50%

Votes: 46 41.1%
  • 50% or more weekly with ill effects to the fish

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • I have also used established filter media to set up a new or larger tank without using old water fro

Votes: 31 27.7%

• Total voters

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
According to Simon acclimating a fish to wYer w different Chemistry will kill it. He so bieves that water changes over 50% are too stressful, water chemistry doesn't change during a flood or setting up a tank w old media and new tank water doesn't work

I never disagrees w you. I even said that several times in that thread. The only thing I stated is that it is possible to acclimate fish w out using previous tank water just like anyone would acclimate a fish after it was shipped across the country. He doesn't want to bear that because he's professional moved tanks that way for 10 yrs

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Simon the basic makeup of water changes very little from source to tank and if ph and hardness and nitrates etc drop or rise dramatically it's either because your altering it or not changing water.
Like keeping driftwood in the tank for example?

As far as emulating your fishes natural habitat, I know immune adding a bunch of chemicals to Alter it. My fish including my rays all live in waters different than their natural habitat. If you don't think there are many ppl who keep discus rays or sa cichlids in high ph or harder water, you should spend some time asking around
Did I say it couldn't be done? Some people enjoy recreating their fishes natural habitat.

As far large waterchanges go, I never said I liked doing 99% water changes but said my fish could handle it as well as many other ppls fish who change their water. What about breeders who do large cold water changes to imitate the rainy season to get fish to spawn. I guess that's another fish killer
Define "cold". Emulating cooler, rainy season effects is perfectly natural for healthy, breedable fish.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Again my view of this has more to do with the fish then the water change. Healthy fish receiving regular W/Cs will likely handle most anything. Then you have some fish that the only thing close to a W/C they've seen for the past 6 months is water added to the tank for evaporation. If you try to pull of even a 50% W/C odds are you are going to lose those fish.

I'll have to review that other thread as to what I would recommend.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
According to Simon acclimating a fish to wYer w different Chemistry will kill it. He so bieves that water changes over 50% are too stressful, water chemistry doesn't change during a flood or setting up a tank w old media and new tank water doesn't work
You may amuse me with your absolute lack of logic, ability to debate or objectivity, but don't ever put words in my mouth. Your inability to follow an intelligent conversation is not going to get attributed to me.

You apparently have not read anything I've posted.
-I never said acclimation to radically different chemistry WILL kill fish, I said it MIGHT stress/sicken/kill fish.
-Where do I say WCs over 50% are too stressful? I actually said going 75% on discus, if they're used to it, is normal.
-I simply asked you to prove it, as you asserted that massive, frequent water changes in the wild are normal and don't harm fish.
-I never said it doesn't work, I said it's a better idea to use some old water.

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
Now were going to debate breeding? Ha you kill me.

Driftwood may or may not change the ph or hardness of the water depending on w/c schedule and amount of driftwood in the tank

One of the things talked about most on this forum is acclimatingyour fish to your source water

You are very argumentative and somewhat hypocritical

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I do 50% WC on my 270g every week, and 50% on my 100g every week, 70% on my 20g every week.

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
I do enough water changes to keep nitrAtes below a certain level. If that means doing 2 or 3 60-70% water changes PER WEEK.

Even in tanks where nitrAtes are not an issue, I do a minimum of 50% water change once per week, to prevent shock to the fish. If you change your water often enough, then you don't have to worry about shocking the fish with different parameters since they will be pretty much the same as the tap, since I don't let the water get "old" or "used up" and by doing frequent water changes. That way, in case I ever DO have to do 100% water change (for medication, or whatever other reason) then I can do it without stressing out my fish, since they are used to the tap water, and not old water with lots of built up organic wastes, lower pH due to metabolic cycles, etc.

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
Creepyoldguy....Get over the fact that people have different opinions...That's life. This thread could've been productive without the trolling.

I have to agree with whoever said that you will be less likely to lose fish if you move some of the old water with the tank. I normally take 5g buckets to transport the fish and fill them up. I replace the lid and dump the buckets into the aquarium at the new place, then add water. I have also moved fish without doing this and I had losses. It's not scientific information, just experience / trial and error. You experiences may differ and don't require trolling.

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
Piscine;4989511; said:
Creepyoldguy....Get over the fact that people have different opinions...That's life. This thread could've been productive without the trolling.

I have to agree with whoever said that you will be less likely to lose fish if you move some of the old water with the tank. I normally take 5g buckets to transport the fish and fill them up. I replace the lid and dump the buckets into the aquarium at the new place, then add water. I have also moved fish without doing this and I had losses. It's not scientific information, just experience / trial and error. You experiences may differ and don't require trolling.

Piscine, this thread is still productive and shows that many people do large frequent water changes with not harm to their fish. I was never stating that my way was the only way that is right, in fact, since the beginning of the other thread, I had agreed to the different ways of how to acclimate a fish.

Also, how am I trolling? I am talking and sharing my experiences just like everyone else.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
On some of my tanks, I do 70% water change each time, 2-3 times a week. However, I didn't use tap water straight from the faucet. I store water in a 300gal bin, treated with Prime for at least 24 hours, before I use that water for doing water change. If you do 50% water change with tap water straight from the faucet, mishap will eventually get you..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store