Large water changes

How much water do you change?

• 50% or more weekly with no effects

Votes: 61 54.5%
  • Less than 50%

Votes: 46 41.1%
  • 50% or more weekly with ill effects to the fish

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • I have also used established filter media to set up a new or larger tank without using old water fro

Votes: 31 27.7%

• Total voters

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
creepyoldguy;4989556; said:
Also, how am I trolling? I am talking and sharing my experiences just like everyone else.
This whole thread is trollish.

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
Piscine;4989603; said:
This whole thread is trollish.

NOt really.... It's more or less to say that there are more than one way people deal with their fish and how their fish have adapted to different ways of waterchanges and setups.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
SimonL;4987530;4987530 said:
The debate began in another thread about moving tanks. I suggested that the OP should move some of his existing water with the fish, as he lives around the corner. creepyoldguy disagrees, saying it's fine to just set the tank up with 100% new water and move the fish in.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402551
You are right.

Even though it's just around the corner, it's good to acclimate the fish from the existing water to the new water source. Moving to a different location could mean different levels of hardness, which could cause osmotic shock to the fish if they aren't acclimated properly.

But if you're merely setting up a new tank in the same house, and you do frequent water changes on the existing tank, chances are the water chemistry from the old tank and the tap are very similar, if not, identical. You could dump the fish from the old tank in to the 100% new water and they'll be fine, because the hardness levels will be the same.

The problems start when the hardness levels of the water change instantly. This affects the fish's osmoregulation. Do this too fast, and you'll have dead fish in a matter of minutes.

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
One of the plus sides to salt is that you dont need to change the water as often because the live rock absorbs a lot of the nitrates and nitrites. I do 50% once every 2 - 2 1/2 months

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
creepyoldguy;4989701;4989701 said:
Those who use the 'drop and plop' method have been lucky. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of FACT. And the fact is fish cannot adapt to different hardness levels fast enough, it WILL kill them.

It happened to me once with a pair of cichla. Didn't acclimate, just dumped them in the tank. They were both dead within 15 minutes. And I picked them up from somebody who lived 15 minutes away. Tested my water and his water, the ph and hardness levels were totally different.

Once you kill a fish from osmotic shock you will change your mind. I acclimate every fish now. When I fish arrive by mail, I put them in a bucket, add a few drops of Prime to detoxify any ammonia that may have built up, start aerating, and do a drip acclimation for 30-45 minutes.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
jcardona1;4989671; said:
You are right.

Even though it's just around the corner, it's good to acclimate the fish from the existing water to the new water source. Moving to a different location could mean different levels of hardness, which could cause osmotic shock to the fish if they aren't acclimated properly.

But if you're merely setting up a new tank in the same house, and you do frequent water changes on the existing tank, chances are the water chemistry from the old tank and the tap are very similar, if not, identical. You could dump the fish from the old tank in to the 100% new water and they'll be fine, because the hardness levels will be the same.

The problems start when the hardness levels of the water change instantly. This affects the fish's osmoregulation. Do this too fast, and you'll have dead fish in a matter of minutes.
Agree 100%.

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
Jcardona- I'm nt agreeing with that thread or disagreeing with you, just thought I would bring thread up as so far on this topic there has yet to be scientific evidence supporting either side, just what ppl post about their past experiences.

Simply you put, you can acclimate a fish safely in a bag of water, or a 5g bucket of water that you used to transport the fish, or in 50g of water.

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
creepyoldguy;4989974; said:
Jcardona- I'm nt agreeing with that thread or disagreeing with you, just thought I would bring thread up as so far on this topic there has yet to be scientific evidence supporting either side, just what ppl post about their past experiences.

Simply you put, you can acclimate a fish safely in a bag of water, or a 5g bucket of water that you used to transport the fish, or in 50g of water.
lol Jose made ya come around to a different attitude? :grinyes:

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
Uh not at all. I'll still do things my way and youll still contribute nothingness to any thread on mfk. His post is just as valid as RD's in the other thread be aide neither are scientists in a lab w proven data. I have spent 2 hrs on dripping rays from 7-8ph and have spent 10min dripping them. Ive done this more than once with no bad effects. Ive dropped aros in right away w no effects.

Do you any experience w anything other than riding the bandwagon of a higher poster?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store