Cichla + Potamotrygon Tank : I need your help in conception

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
nope... I was so disgusted that this one simply finished as fox food. I live in a forest & moutain swiss area, where it's quite common to have foxes around the house

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
The heating looks a very efficient idea, i'll certainly be looking to add this onto my boiler when i build the new fish house.
Was there a reason you chose to build a wooden box and poor concrete rather than use hollow block and fill it with concrete/rebar?
I understand your point about refraction!
You mentioned you have a low filtration? is this by media volume or turnover? what is turnover?
How large are those arowana now?

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
well, the main reason is the fact that glass is not that flexible... and as I wasn't sure of my basement floor perfection level, I had to compensate it by a "fluid" concrete, which will regulate his level by gravity... when poured into the wooden box, the concrete was also "vibrated" to condense and to fill every imperfection of the ground... I'm not sure to be precise in my wording, it becomes a bit too technical for my English skills...

on the topic filtration, I mean poor in both ways : turn over (1 per hour) and filter media capacity (90 liters of fluid sand only)... But I have no problem of nitrates or whatever else, as I continuously change water (drop-by-drop) to 4m3 per week.

Finally, last time I checked the size of Arowanas, I took out of water the smallest (which was O. ferreirai, male) for selling it. It was back in May 2014 and it was 79 cm long. So I can estimate that my big females are now more or less 90-95 cm long. which is more or less 37.4 US inches... They are exactly 3 years old this November 2014 (as I bought them with yolk sack still on them, I can be quite precise).

Reactions: Matteus

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
Thats a wonderful size, a pretty good indication to suggest that tank size does greatly affect the growth of a fish.

I think i understand what you are trying to say regarding the poured concrete, you can even out inperfections easier when in a liquid form than with solid blocks.

Yes 1x turnover does sound pretty low, however typically turnover usually is much lower in tanks of this vast size, as for only 90L of sand, i believe these filters are super efficient so i'm not surprised to hear that it is coping well with your bio load.

I've really enjoyed reading through your build, are you planning any further modifications to the tank in the future?

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
always a few new ideas to set up one of these days...

I'm considering getting rid of filtration and replace it by a very powerful powerhead (30 m3/h) + 5 m3/ week water change.

water isn't so expensive around here, but electricity definitely is... I'm counting the evaluated costs of it

Still have to add some big trunks, roots and branches into it for the panaque...

and one of these days, I'll probably have to change (and set again with silicon) my front glass...

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
a short one, from tonight... Panaque L191, 4 years, around 30 cm

[video=youtube_share;M9An7p5jIO8]http://youtu.be/M9An7p5jIO8[/video]

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
I guess what you mean is self leveling spackle? The same stuff you use in bathrooms to make sure water pours in the right direction? Bags of spackle that you mix with water and pour on to the surface you want to level? That is part of what i do for a living and i've thought about it a million times for a big build.. I thought of using a electric heater cable but i guess you just hooked it up to the hot water cirkulation pump powering your radiators?

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
nope… I just was thinking (and still) to reduce the consumption of electricity by changing more water with my drop-by-drop overflow system. Instead of water changing 4m3 a week, maybe 6 m3 a week (by upgrading the flow per minute) and reducing the cost due to the sand and biological filters.

the heating as I built it, seems to be the most efficient solution found for this very tank… very efficient and except the cost of its setup, very poor in consumption of wood pellets and electricity… in fact I don't have any "radiators", only these white pipes drowned into the concrete bottom of my tank, which are water heating exchangers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store