Clown Knife Information

romosoldier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
USA
Nice! I used to have a Clown Knife over a foot long, but i had to sell it because of lack of space in the tank... it was big enough that it would only eat feeder goldfish.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
romosoldier;4351996; said:
Nice! I used to have a Clown Knife over a foot long, but i had to sell it because of lack of space in the tank... it was big enough that it would only eat feeder goldfish.
that was the best thing to do then.. give him a bigger home..

romosoldier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
USA
yea, i had a 90 gallon back then, but it was a salt water tank, so i had to sell it... couldn't find anyone to sell it to, so i had to sell it to a pet store which gave me $20 for it, and a few days later when i went to check how much they were selling him for, the price was $100.

catchat3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
London, Ontario
Sorry I'm still trying to figure this site out. Haven't been on in awhile.
I Have a 6" Clown Knife that a about a month ago and I'm not sure if he's eating. I feed all my fish in the tank frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp, flakes, shrimp pellets, and feeder goldfish. Any suggestions of what I should feed the Clown Knife?
Thanks

romosoldier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
USA
all mine ate was feeder goldfish, do you have any other predatory fish in the tank? and if you dont do the goldfish go missing? lol, cuz then he is eating. just get the small ones and see if he eats them, or the medium ones if he can eat those. when i used to feed mine i put the feeders in and watched a few minutes, funny to see all the scales fly when it gets eaten hehe.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
catchat3;4364780; said:
Sorry I'm still trying to figure this site out. Haven't been on in awhile.
I Have a 6" Clown Knife that a about a month ago and I'm not sure if he's eating. I feed all my fish in the tank frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp, flakes, shrimp pellets, and feeder goldfish. Any suggestions of what I should feed the Clown Knife?
Thanks
All of the above mentioned food is great for clown knife... .. how do you know he isn't eating.. do you have a cave for him to hide in..if you do i would suggest that you try to place a little of the food by the opening of his cave..and watch ... of course any uneaten food should be removed with in 10 min..as to not contaminate the water.. also do water changes frequently on a schedule.. he should start to grow and settle in... do not give him live food or he will snub everything else you try to feed...

Reactions: Matteus

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
romosoldier;4365385; said:
all mine ate was feeder goldfish, do you have any other predatory fish in the tank? and if you dont do the goldfish go missing? lol, cuz then he is eating. just get the small ones and see if he eats them, or the medium ones if he can eat those. when i used to feed mine i put the feeders in and watched a few minutes, funny to see all the scales fly when it gets eaten hehe.
goldfish offer very little nutrition to a knife... sooner you get them on a varied diet the better they will be...also if you are not raising your own goldies in quarenteen etc... you risk disease from the feeder fish.. so many feeders from the lfs are carriers of disease... either quarenteen for a few weeks to be safe or stop feeding feeders altogerther would be the best suggestion i can give...the only time i can recommend feeders is when you first bring a knife home from the LFS that is still a baby... they are wild caught knives.. so they are use to eating live food in the wild... i would feed quarenteened guppy fry to the baby knife until it is large enough and safe enough to be weaned off of live food.. usually around 6 inches.

romosoldier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
USA
Red Devil;4365418; said:
goldfish offer very little nutrition to a knife... sooner you get them on a varied diet the better they will be...also if you are not raising your own goldies in quarenteen etc... you risk disease from the feeder fish.. so many feeders from the lfs are carriers of disease... either quarenteen for a few weeks to be safe or stop feeding feeders altogerther would be the best suggestion i can give...the only time i can recommend feeders is when you first bring a knife home from the LFS that is still a baby... they are wild caught knives.. so they are use to eating live food in the wild... i would feed quarenteened guppy fry to the baby knife until it is large enough and safe enough to be weaned off of live food.. usually around 6 inches.

The reason my clown was on feeders was because that what was fed to him from the previous owner, and also because he was so large. he had a big appetite and i had some cichlids in the same tank with him for a while, but he also ate one of the cichlids and when i would feed the cichlids he would never eat that food, so i had to always have feeders in the tank, and he would just pick them out as he wanted. So its not that i havent tried to get him to eat other foods, he just didnt eat the other food that was in the tank. the cichlids ate it and the knife just watched and ate feeders.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
romosoldier;4365444; said:
The reason my clown was on feeders was because that what was fed to him from the previous owner, and also because he was so large. he had a big appetite and i had some cichlids in the same tank with him for a while, but he also ate one of the cichlids and when i would feed the cichlids he would never eat that food, so i had to always have feeders in the tank, and he would just pick them out as he wanted.
yes i can understand your circumstance... and having concern for the cichlids ... there are all types of reasons why need to make decisions that would help at that specific time.. if he is ever completely alone it is not too late to try to cross him over.. it involves fasting him and patience...but that is up to you to decide.. i just have to recommend that any one starting out with a young knife to get him off live food asap...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store