Lesions/Ulcers on Oscar

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Read about furunculosis. I would go to the kanamycin if this is a chronic issue. Continue with the furan and MB and add the kana to them as well to hopefully give it the knockout punch.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yes I wish I would have added the Kana from the start instead of 5 days in. Maybe I will put the fish in a hospital tank for 7-10 days. I've read up up Furuncluosis but for some reason dismissed that. Can't remember why. Will check. Thanks again.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Update: The fish started to get the blisters again so I immediately isolated him. Starting to suspect this may be a viral issue? Going to try neomycin this time. Kanamycin and even minocycline (Maracyn 2) does help to heal up, but the issue always returns even after a 10 day treatment.

Water is 0 0 15 / PH 7.4

Any other ideas?

Off topic: It seems like Kanamycin and oxytetracycline are getting tougher and tougher to get. Many online resources seem to be out of stock and not carrying these anymore. Anyone know why that is? Doxycycline seems to be a satisfactory alternative to oxy.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The only option would be a massive water change and cleaning and treat the whole tank. If it's viral nothing can be done.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Let me know how it goes. Kana and Neo in combination is a good choice to try if you have both.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
I have a little Kanamycin powder left, but will have to see if it's enough to treat with the Neo which I'm getting today. I'll post any results here. The problem is I don't know what the results are until the months after treatment.

I have read that if this is indeed viral, that elevated tank temperatures into the mid to high 80's F could be worth a try should the antibiotics fail, though that may only pertain to Koi with ulcers. I'd have to look into it more before I'd try that.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Well I tried minocycline. The outbreak wasn't too bad as only one blister broke open this time. Tough to tell whether the Maracyn 2 did anything since it takes awhile for these things to heal. He had 7 days of minocycline.

I'm going to keep him in the hospital tank, do a large water change, throw in some carbon to clear all the meds out, and in 48 hours try the Neomycin for a week to 10 days. Am ordering doxycycline. Have read that baytril may help with this, but I'd need to call my vet. She gave me a script before for that even though it wasn't effective for a rainbow with myco. I have some oxytetracycline food I may feed him while he's on the neomycin if he eats or I may wait for the neo treatment to end. Not sure if I should mix those two antibiotics even though they won't be mixed in the water column? He is acting normally in the hospital tank throughout, but not eating much which is pretty normal for him when confined in a 20G.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
After a couple days with clean water, the fish is now on Neomycin with some potassium permanganate dips once a day. Kanamycin is on it's way, but the issue has always come back after Kanamycin treatment. He's also eating oxytetracycline laced pellets and is regaining appetite.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Anyone ever use this in the past? I'm curious as to the dosages used in the water for the powdered version. I've read everything from 250mg per 10 gallons to 1600mg! I'm well aware of the risks using it.

Aquanero? Anyone?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store