Lesions/Ulcers on Oscar

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Can you get where you are from Kusuri Wormer plus? It can be ordered from the UK.
It's a flUbendazole based antiparasitic treatment. It's very broad spectrum(for internal and external parasites), a one off treatment or a second dose if a persistent infection. It's pretty safe with any fish but kills snails and possibly shrimp.
I'd try that. Also, look into the diet as well.
That fish eats better than me. ;) Never heard of Kasuri Wormer, but looking at it online it seems the only active ingredient is indeed flubendazole which I can get easily. I have some left over Levamisole from years ago which I believe does the same thing as Flubendazole. I don't really see any symptoms of worms with this fish as the poop is normal. I will keep that in mind should this fish continue to have issues, though.

The current tank is free of parasites because it's been taken down and decontaminated with calcium hypochlorite. I did use a sponge and media from an existing tank to start it up. That tank had no previous issues. I suppose I'm not 100% sure that there weren't any parasites in the sponge, but it's doubtful.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I have some left over Levamisole from years ago which I believe does the same thing as Flubendazole.
No, it's not the same as levamisole. Flubendazole has been found effective against round worms, flat worms and all sorts of parasites/protozoa including white spot.
Levamisole treats just some round worms generally. Prazi treats just flat worms. Metro treats just flagellates like hex. Flubendazole has been found effective against them all and more.

What I was trying to say is that it looks to me the fish is carrying the stuff it has with it from tank to tank. Even more so that you've disinfected the tank.
Bacterial infections do kill fish. Parasites not so because if they kill their host, they die too. Hence parasitic infections may develop over months and longer. That's not the case for bacterial infections. Someone suggested Furunculosis earlier and that's another fast killer. I doubt it your fish has that.

I am thinking the fish may have some sort of protozoa causing that, rather than worms or intestinal flagellates which I think you are referring to when mentioning white poop.

Also what temperature do you keep him at? If not already, you may want to up it above 82-83.

Diet wise, I meant try feeding with a different diet in case what it eats makes it succeptible to whatever this is. If the diet is not suitable, the immune system gets weak and fish can get any sort of odd issues. Just test a drop of tank water under a microscope to find out the diversity of micro-organisms...

Last edited:

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
No, it's not the same as levamisole. Flubendazole has been found effective against round worms, flat worms and all sorts of parasites/protozoa including white spot.
Levamisole treats just some round worms generally. Prazi treats just flat worms. Metro treats just flagellates like hex. Flubendazole has been found effective against them all and more.

What I was trying to say is that it looks to me the fish is carrying the stuff it has with it from tank to tank. Even more so that you've disinfected the tank.
Bacterial infections do kill fish. Parasites not so because if they kill their host, they die too. Hence parasitic infections may develop over months and longer. That's not the case for bacterial infections. Someone suggested Furunculosis earlier and that's another fast killer. I doubt it your fish has that.

Also what temperature do you keep him at?

Diet wise, I meant try feeding with a different diet in case what it eats makes it succeptible to whatever this is.
77-78F is what i keep the fish at unless I'm medicating.

Since this fish has undergone a myriad of antibiotic treatments, I do agree that the odds it being purely bacterial is highly doubtful at this point. Should the fish again show any symptoms or ulcers - I'll give the flubendazone a look. i've basically tried almost everything else I suppose and you have a point about taking months to recur. A viral issue would also be a possibility, though this is also doubtful in my opinion.

As far as the fish carrying the '?' from tank to tank, well it has never shown symptoms outside of one tank. Only when it shows symptoms is when I will put the fish into thehospital tank and then back into it's usual 150G. This time, the fish has gone into a newly setup 55G by itself where it will stay for at least 6 months.

Feeding the fish a steady diet of NLS Thera A, Hikari Bio Gold, some blood worms, and peas here and there. Have cut out the shrimp and worms for the time being. Cut out the shrimp due to the thiaminase and already mentioned the nightcrawlers having the potential to carry parasites.I've never heard of frozen bloodworms carrying anything harmful, but know they can harm some small fish that would have probs digesting them.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coryloach

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
curious, what is tank stock and tank size?

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
curious, what is tank stock and tank size?
Fish is now in a 55G by herself. Fish WAS in a 150G with a Dempsey, Salvini, Red Sev, two 6 inch plecos, 1/2 dozen Giant Danios, Firemouth, and Melanurus. Two aquaclear 110's and a Rena XP3 for filtration. Nitrate never higher than 20.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Hopefully she never gets ulcers again. Good luck.

I asked about the temperature because ulcer causing bacteria like aeromonas don't like it above 82. I presume you've already tried raising the temperature temporarily.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Hopefully she never gets ulcers again. Good luck.

I asked about the temperature because ulcer causing bacteria like aeromonas don't like it above 82. I presume you've already tried raising the temperature temporarily.
Only in the hosp tank when medicating. Temp was 80-81F in the display tank. Recently lowered it to 77-78F. I don't like keeping the temp up in the display tank because of increased aggression. Since the fish gets the ulcers months apart, I saw no reason to keep the tank in the mid 80s for a long period.

Should the fish get the ulcers again in the 55, Flubendizole will be at the top of my 'possible remedies' list.

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Just to be clear..... in case....., make sure you use flUbendazole and not fEndbendazole as there seem to be a confusion between the two. The latter can kill certain fish if dozed in the water although both are from the same family of meds.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Sorry, I am absolutely sure you do. I just wanted to point it out in case someone else gets the wrong idea and blames me for life...:)

Reactions: Kivstev
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store