Moving Very Large Aquariums

Consigliere

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ontario
Thanks for all the tips.

Quick question on the "shimmy around the corners". With the tank on end, did you pull the bottom out to continue down the stairs or tip the top down?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
creepyoldguy;4568290; said:
4 guys should be plenty. As far as gear, beer is really the only thing me or my friends ever needed to move large tanks.
It really works!

But remember move tank first, then beer. Otherwise the tank never gets moved!

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
if you really want to pay someone to move it, try piano movers or pool table movers. they'll have good experience with something so large and heavy. A dolly and suction cups if you're doing it.

I'm in southwest ontario, if you were close, I'd help you for beer. :D

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
What type of surface is the landing?

If it's a hard surface, get a bath mat or hall rug that is soft on one side and has that rubbery anti slip texture on the other. Set it upside down on the landing and land the tank vertically on it. Then, VERY GENTLY pull the rug to get the tank sliding slowly over the edge until you have enough exposed to put the suction cups back on it.

Two people each end, one per suction handle. The longer armed people should be on the lower end and the ones with stronger backs up top. Don't be afraid to keep it very close to the stairs and set it down on them every step. If the stairs are crappy and you have some 2x4s you can lay down as tracks, you can slide the tank right down the tracks to the landing, re-orient as noted above, and do the same thing again.

Redtailedcat

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
Ontario Canada
best be dude is a case of beer and a few buddys 4-6 but remmber drink the beer after the tank is in the basement or it will never get moved lol best of luck bro if you where closer i would help

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
Consigliere;4568581; said:
Thanks for all the tips.

Quick question on the "shimmy around the corners". With the tank on end, did you pull the bottom out to continue down the stairs or tip the top down?
Once it's on end, it'll stay that way. Most stairs won't accommodate (and it's highly unsafe) tipping it over from there.

PostalPenguin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2010
Denver CO
If you are looking to hire someone you could try calling local glass companies. They may not have experience with tanks but will have experience moving glass and have the suction cups to move it.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Consigliere;4568263; said:
Does anyone have any experience moving very large tanks? I have a 250 that weighs about 600lbs that I need moved from my garage to my basement. The kicker is a 90" turn in the stairs down to my basement. I've asked one moving company to give a quote and they wouldn't take the work because of the risk but they didn't seem particularly bright so I think someone who has done this or has experience with very big items may be able to help me out. Anyone know of companies in Eastern Ontario that will move stuff like this? I'm located in Kingston.

I may end up having to do it myself with 4 people. Anyone have any advice on doing it yourself? What kind of gear you would need? Any helpful tips?

As far as large aquarium goes when it comes to placing them in a comfortable spot.....Comfortrable meaning--->"comfortable operation" of moving in, setup, and easy water change accessability, well the garage is the only holy place.........The garage holds the largest door, the water hose line is easily accessed, no worries of drips or spills in the mind, and there is always a little extra room for another tank(somehow)..........:naughty:

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
GEO QUEEN;4569761; said:
and if the tank is pretty much just a normal looking 250, then the tank is not anywhere near 600lbs. try 300 to 350.

Obviously it's not, or he wouldn't have mentioned it.

My old school Glasscages 300 weighed nearly 800 pounds empty. It was re-re-reinforced with a ton of extra 1/2" glass. Which came in handy when the stupid movers cracked the bottom pane...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store