My first ray! Impulse buy... Can ya blame me?

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
ya he is eating worms. The 20 gal was a quick fix. He is only 4 inches so I didn't foresee a problem with him recovering in it for a few days. I have 2 30s, 2 55s, 70 and three ponds(250,300,500) sittin empty right now. I have been keeping fish for about ten years and NEVER have I had a fish I couldn't handle so when I saw the rays, I knew I must have one. This is the first time I have ever seen or heard of freshwater rays in Iowa.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I bought this ray from the owner of lfs, whom I have always trusted until recently. Last few transactions have been questionable. I do admit to ignorance though. I thought his hip bones were like little defensive spikes. It was my first time seeing a reticulated ray in person and I have never had a reason to read much about them. He also was white at the lfs which made me think he was some special species that I had never heard of. They had them listed as teacup rays and claimed they stay 6inches. So no, I had no idea what I was getting into. BUT I am the type to take on ANYTHING and figure it out. Luckily I have resources to turn to for the things that I do not know:) Thanks MFK!

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
Where at in iowa are you located?

I would personally take the gravel out and make it bare bottom for her.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Just east of Des Moines. I plan to pull the grav later today. Gonna loose too many worms to it.

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
black worms are probably the easiest thing to get a skinny ray to eat and be able to gain weight on IMO. Just keep a good stock of them in the tank with her and a healthy supply of them on hand at all times. Clean water, lights out, and no tank mates. The least amount of change for her the better at this moment in time. God for $130 (which is very very very high for a retic ray) you could have gotten a CB retic from me including air transportation. Your LFS probably paid $20 for that ray that is a huge mark up I think I would be done dealing with that shop if it were me.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
130 is way too much but when its in your face and you want it..... I am very childish in this aspect. I may take you up on a ray Grape. I am done dealing with them for the most part. He said he wanted 140 for ray but would give it to me for 120. With tax 130. I will go there today and if I am unable to get other 2 rays at cost, I will insist on a refund. If the rays stay there, they will die. If I return this ray, he will die. I am not rich but the well being if these guys means more to me than a couple hundred bucks. I am a big softy.... and maybe a little slow. I will update ray's status periodically.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Oh, I will. This was definitely the last straw. I had ordered and payed for 2 ornate polys about a year ago. He charged me 65 a piece. After about 4 months I told him to just give me store credit. He tried only giving me $80 credit and I argued him up to $100. ....If only I had kept my receipt. The sad thing is that he has best store around and it is still an hour drive:-/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store