My new 2600 gallon plywood tank project

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I'm amazed the concrete floor can hold this tank.

Everyone I asked including structural engineers told me I was nuts to build an 1300g pond in the basement of my house.

They said a basement floor isn't made to support 11,000 lbs of water.

Well what about +20,000 lbs? ROFL
Sad really, you should ask a concrete guy or even just google the info. I think it will surprise you how strong concrete is. Pay attention to pounds per square inch. Do some math and find out there's 144 square inches in a square foot.

This tank has a 29X5 foot print. That's 20880 square inches.

The water in the tank weighs about 8 pounds a gallon 8X2600 = 20800 pounds then the weight of the tank your looking at about 1 pound per square inch maybe a little more.

Lets look at this different. I'm a big man at 220 pounds. Lets say I stand on the floor on one foot on my toes. Lest say 2 square inches. I'm putting 110 pounds per square inch on the floor.

That makes me 110 times heaver per square inch than this tank.

Weird how math works :screwy:

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
Ahh finally "the end"

Took me hours to read this from start to finish - credit to you, pure determination to keep soldiering on and it all paid off.

Give us a 2014 update!

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I love the tank and have watched the whole build from start to finish... First I would like say good job and congrats!! Most people would have gased up that chain saw after the second leak..You stuck with it and figured out where the problem was and fixed it!!! This is the biggest and best DIY tank I have ever seen!!!

With that being said... the stock???? Just my opinion this is the stock for a 300gal not a 2700 gal. Is this what you plan to keep in here forever??? A monster tank needs monster fish in it.. Huge peacock bass, monster cats, big rays, ect....

I know it is your tank and your decision of what goes in it but wouldn't it be so much nicer to have some big monsters in there???

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
With that being said... the stock???? Just my opinion this is the stock for a 300gal not a 2700 gal. Is this what you plan to keep in here forever??? A monster tank needs monster fish in it.. Huge peacock bass, monster cats, big rays, ect....
Meh, to each his own. Monster fish are also incredibly boring to some. To me it's overdone, Everyone does the "monster" fish even in smaller tanks. I think his stock is superb, just my honest opinion :) Though I might have gone salt in that, now THAT would be spectacular :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store