The "one inch per gallon" rule

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
All these rules about tank size I don't pay any attention to. Any truthful fish keeper with half a brain, can tell if a fish is suitable for a certain size tank or not. Behavioural cues are easy, or maybe its not easy and I'm alone in this

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
All these rules about tank size I don't pay any attention to. Any truthful fish keeper with half a brain, can tell if a fish is suitable for a certain size tank or not. Behavioural cues are easy, or maybe its not easy and I'm alone in this

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+2

Sent from my SCH-R830C

cichlid man nz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2014
new zealand
i have always used the rule of your tank should be at minimum 4x longer than the full adult size of your fish twice the size in width and in height . and checking your water conditions will let you no if you have over stepped the mark with your number of fish . as for water changes i do only 50 percent water changes not 25 percent . it works for me . just my opinion

Odotron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Washington DC Area
Yes, the post is quite informative. In actuality, I believe it's 1 cubic inch per gallon (length * width (thickness) * height) - as the author states.

Taking this formula into consideration, should one also subtract substrate, rocks, and sundry tank items from the total volume first?

Ex) 180 gallon tank - (20 gallon substrate/misc) = 160 gallons of swimmable space

dmf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2015
MD
I had my cichlids seperated 1 100gL females males were in a 100T I took the male tank down to get 2 new tanks. during loading the guy slipped and broke the center beam. (no biggie i ordered another one) anyway. My 100L is 72x18x18in I was going to keep it for my 2 common plecos and 1 catfish. I have my 120 set up cycling i want to get a couple frontosa but the tank is 4x2x2. I was told they would be happier in a 6ft tank can anyone give me any advice on this I got 2 120s so i could get a big fish.

emu1sive

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX
I use the calculator on aqadvisor. Personally the amount of dedication to filtration and WCs is the largest factor aside from common sense.

CaptainBirdsEye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ahhh, so that's how it works! Maybe I'll direct people here! I'm sick of some stock questions elsewhere!
(I've not used this rule but hey ho)
I go by surface area and 6-10 times adult size roughly for length, combined with a bit of common sense!
It has served me well so far! (Surface area, that was in the book, so I used it!)

(yeah, even I bend these rules so what's the point!:nilly:
realistically there are far too many fish related factors such as size and shape, swimming behaviours, feeding methods etc. etc. to have any hard and fast rules but as a rough guide. . .)

sensible people should see, read, learn and those that look for minimum tank/maximum stocking are just asking for trouble, but, that's my opinion.
(Please no hate mail!) :banhim::cry:

Cheers, J.:headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store