Timor and ackie monitor care!!! NEED ANSWERS!

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
No, they can grow over two feet, three feet according to some people.

That size cage could maybe work for a very small female ackie. Problem is, you can't really tell the sex on them, or whether they've got genes that will make them grow bigger or smaller than average. The MINIMUM I would ever put an ackie in would be 4 by 2 by 2 with 8 to 12 inches of substrate.
wouldn't there be experts to know the sex??

latshki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
prince edward island, canada
Let me lay this out for you in point form, and I have kept ackies before, have been keeping reptiles for 5 years and have ranged in animals from geckos to skinks to tortoises.
DO NOT SKIM THIS, READ IT ALL!!!
- fish tanks are a NO go for ANY monitor of ANY kind no matter what the size
- don't get the biggest animal you can fit in the smallest tank, there is no point in cramping a poor animal just because you want this cool animal and can't afford the tank it really needs
- get some experience with reptiles first and THEN think about moving into monitors, cresties and beardies are amazing animals and even though Ive kept some more advanced species I still like these guys more
- monitors eat A LOT and your in canada as am I, feeders are harder to get and an ackie will easily eat 30 bucks of crickets very fast especially if you don't buy in bulk
- do your own research and stop asking repetitive questions, you'll only piss people off, and stop listening to only the things that you want to hear!
- your in canada so prices you see online will usually be much lower as it is in the states so expect to pay more
this is all information that has been tried and trued by me, I was once like you but now Ive grown into what I consider a semi knowledgeable keeper, you have a long way to go young one

one more tip, work on your grammar/spelling you will make friends much more easy

here are a few species that will not break the bank, are relatively easy to care for, fairly cheap, and can be cared for by products found in pet stores
Bearded Dragon, Blue Tongue Skink, Leopard Gecko, African Fat Tailed Gecko, Gargoyle Gecko, Crested Gecko, Berber Skink, Uromastyx, Sudan Plated Lizard, Yellow Throated Plated Lizard (these two have personalities VERY similar to ackies)

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Plus do real research from reliable sources, like anapsid.org and varanus.net. Seeing videos on youtube hardly counts as any research at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store