Whats wrong with my texas cichlid?

qwerty1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
Ontario
Ive been doing a 30-40% change atleast every 5 days, sometimes every 3 days since went out, and what makes you think he has an infection? about a week he had cotton on his fins which i forgot to mention, but i added some green API stuff and its all gone and his fin is almost healed.

qwerty1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
Ontario
& what kind of dithers do you guys suggest? i believe silverdollars wouldn't have ample swim space as the biggest i can upgrade to would be a 75 or 90g

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Cottony growths on fins are usually exacerbated by poor water quality. Do you vacuum the substrate when you do water changes? Nitrate levels can build up if the substrate becomes a repository for waste. I would hold off on dithers until your H. carpintis is back to normal.

As for the type of dithers to get, in my experience H. carpintis will pick off smaller schooling fish, particularly when light levels are low. And you are correct that a 55 is too small for silver dollars. I'd suggest getting a couple of firemouths or convicts - they can hold their own with a carpintis if there are places to hide. Just avoid getting a M/F pair of convicts because their breeding activity would cause problems.

qwerty1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
Ontario
hmm ive been keeping up on my water changes like crazy, and the nitrate is 160+? anyone care to elaborate? and yes i do stir the sand up

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
hmm ive been keeping up on my water changes like crazy, and the nitrate is 160+? anyone care to elaborate? and yes i do stir the sand up
I wouldn't stir the sand up - that just pushes all the gunk into the water column. Use a gravel siphon with a nozzle. It will suck the debris directly out of the tank. You'll know you've done enough when the siphon no longer pulls up debris from the gravel/sand. The nitrate level you have likely explains the lethargy of your carpintis, as well as the fungus.

qwerty1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
Ontario
well i just went to the fishstore and they tested the water for free, very little ammonia( i just fully cleaned 1 of the filters + sponge ) and the nitrate is down to around 40 from the 160+ it was a couple days ago.

I was thinking about going to the beach and grabbing a large piece of driftwood( 3 feet long, 15 inch high ) would a pictus catfish work? provided it has hiding spots?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store