MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Here's a short video after I added 4 bags of pool filter sand. It clouded the water pretty good. I'm running the full siphon overflow into a 36"x7" 100 micron sock from Duda Diesel. I also ordered a huge sheet of 100 micron material I cut in 2 and attached to some egg crate. It separates the return side from the Matrix in the sump.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
It took about 24 hours to clear the water up. I threw the sock and matting in the washer with no detergent and it cleaned up well. I bought 6 of the 36" socks and it was about the same price as buying 2 small ones at a fish store.

Here's the trunkful of rocks I got at a hard scape dealer. Doesn't look like much but it's several hundred pounds. The thing on the left is a stroller for size.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Sump after cleaning up the sand. It's nothing special and pretty simple. I wanted to keep it that way for maintenance. 98% of the water comes through the full siphon line with the sock. The closest line is the emergency which so far has stayed dry. I hope it stays that way. The other line is the open channel. There's just a trickle there so I didn't put a sock on it. I have since extended the drains so they're about 1"-2" under water. When the sock isn't overflowing it's completely quite. You can see the egg crate to the left. It extends top to bottom. I have since clipped the matting towards the top but low enough that if for some reason water overruns it, it will just go through the egg crate and not overflow the sump. I'll have to get a pic but the next chamber is just those laundry bags of Pond Matrix. I added another egg crate then the 2" return line follows it on the far left.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store