What species am I ?

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Need some assistance fellas. Any chance this is resembles closely a Guinean lap type?
NOT A GUINEAN LAP....... Farahna Lap. I have one just like it that I got from Toyin about 2-3 years ago. It's a lap found in the farahna region. There's some confusion over this because these pieces changed names several times........ "sp. farahna"....... "farahna lap" ........ "sp. farahna broken line"..... "sp. farahna dabola TYPE" ....... "sp farahna unbroken line"...... etc....

When brought in they were being sold as farahna lap........ as these started to settle in, some looked kinna like dabola in the sense that the horizontal lines connected like that of sp. dabola....... hence sp. farahna Dabola type...... this caused some confusion......

..... sp. farahna broken line & vice versa was adopted....... MAKE SENSE??

You have a beatiful farahna lap.

When I ordered mine back then, since the distinction hadn't been made yet, I was lucky to receive both!!.... farahna lap & farahna Dabola type!!!! Hope I am making sense here.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Also forgot to mention........ there is a HUGE difference in pattern from lap to lap found in the farahna region....... I've owned up to 6 at one point and they all looked different. :)

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
NOT A GUINEAN LAP....... Farahna Lap. I have one just like it that I got from Toyin about 2-3 years ago. It's a lap found in the farahna region. There's some confusion over this because these pieces changed names several times........ "sp. farahna"....... "farahna lap" ........ "sp. farahna broken line"..... "sp. farahna dabola TYPE" ....... "sp farahna unbroken line"...... etc....

When brought in they were being sold as farahna lap........ as these started to settle in, some looked kinna like dabola in the sense that the horizontal lines connected like that of sp. dabola....... hence sp. farahna Dabola type...... this caused some confusion......

..... sp. farahna broken line & vice versa was adopted....... MAKE SENSE??

You have a beatiful farahna lap.

When I ordered mine back then, since the distinction hadn't been made yet, I was lucky to receive both!!.... farahna lap & farahna Dabola type!!!! Hope I am making sense here.

Finally!!!! Thank you very much! So cool u are like a polypterus complex encyclopedia.

Reactions: dmcskoolkid

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Finally!!!! Thank you very much! So cool u are like a polypterus complex encyclopedia.
You are welcomed BUT no .... hardly an expert..... wish the real experts would come back to show us a thing or two like cohazard, hao, ricky, cdm, tokyomask, king-el, to name a few...... I learned a lot from some of them...... they took bichir keeping to a whole different level...... these guys were into fin count, headshape, .... you name it..... real geeks you know!!?? Bwahahahahaha!!!!

Reactions: ExoticGREEN

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
You are welcomed BUT no .... hardly an expert..... wish the real experts would come back to show us a thing or two like cohazard, hao, ricky, cdm, tokyomask, king-el, to name a few...... I learned a lot from some of them...... they took bichir keeping to a whole different level...... these guys were into fin count, headshape, .... you name it..... real geeks you know!!?? Bwahahahahaha!!!!
havent seen TGM in a long time. hao is lurking around hahaha.

Reactions: framcosco

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I see someone mentioning me. I spy Toyin commenting in this thread too.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
It looks like a Dabola. Similar to FishnCash's old Dabola, unless I have bad memory.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store