Is There Anything Exciting To House In a 4 Feet Tank?

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Male green sunfish will tear everything apart. They'll kill things just to kill them, not even to eat. Females aren't as bad, but it's very difficult to sex them before they're adults, and adults don't adapt well to aquarium life.
If they're legal in your area, warmouths can be caught by dangling bait around lurking spots. Overhanging branches, clumps of water-weed, logs, etc. Try to get one under 4" long. Under 3" is ideal. They have pretty big mouths, so your bait doesn't need to be that small. Gulp minnow lures can work well, or just some bacon fat. Anything that wiggles is also a decent bet. You're after a sit-and-wait predator, and they aren't all that difficult to catch. The issue is just finding one.
I caught mine purely by accident, while fishing around a big clump of plants. He took on a bait that was far too large for any longear his size.
You're basically fishing for a leaffish, is the idea.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Male green sunfish will tear everything apart. They'll kill things just to kill them, not even to eat. Females aren't as bad, but it's very difficult to sex them before they're adults, and adults don't adapt well to aquarium life.
I wouldn't say it's overly difficult. I was able to sex my green at +/- 2". Females lack the vivid bands, darker colors, and bright fin trims that males have. The still get some of the colors as they grow, but the males always tend to be more colorful and I've seen 1.5" greens with some beautiful coloration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store