Freshwater Moray Eels

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ if its a true Gymnothorax Polyuranadon @ 3' long for 20 bucks BUY IT NOW!!!

I paid ranging from about USD $80 - $125 an eel for mine ranging between about 12" - 18"

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I was even planning on adding another one today, but the store sold the last one they had earlier today...

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
G. Polyuranadon was for sure one of the coolest fish I have ever owned. I regret selling mine to this day, he was awesome. Wes gets them caught from landlocked FW lakes in Indonesia, we are talking generations of being bred and kept in FW their entire lives. This is the only true FW Moray to my knowledge, I believe G. Tile will require brackish eventually.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ G.Tiles are definitely brackish fish, looked into getting them a long time ago when i first heard about the mythical Freshwater Eel...

Also, good to know where Wes gets his from, since im guessing the stores over here are getting them from the same or similar sources???

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
^ if its a true Gymnothorax Polyuranadon @ 3' long for 20 bucks BUY IT NOW!!!
I paid ranging from about USD $80 - $125 an eel for mine ranging between about 12" - 18"
ooops, I said they had one for $20? My mistake, they have 2 for $20/ea. ;)

G. Polyuranadon was for sure one of the coolest fish I have ever owned. I regret selling mine to this day, he was awesome. Wes gets them caught from landlocked FW lakes in Indonesia, we are talking generations of being bred and kept in FW their entire lives. This is the only true FW Moray to my knowledge, I believe G. Tile will require brackish eventually.
I'm trying to get hold of her now so 1) find out the species and 2.) find out if wild caught or CB(CBB)

Anythng else I should try to find out before I get her to call her distributer?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ im going to go out on a limb and guess all of them are wild caught, since i dont think anyone has been able to breed these gorgeous eels in the home setting yet???

Although if someone has, then i need to start researching how to get mine to breed and hopefully get some elvers swimming around my tank.,,

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I'm a Bushmills fan, but I'm trying to stick to beer since I end up drinking too much of it cuz it's sooooo good lol What's your favorite brand?
Jameson`s, Crown royal and JD cinnamon. Like Sin Fire but over priced.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
^ G.Tiles are definitely brackish fish, looked into getting them a long time ago when i first heard about the mythical Freshwater Eel...

Also, good to know where Wes gets his from, since im guessing the stores over here are getting them from the same or similar sources???
Jameson`s, Crown royal and JD cinnamon. Like Sin Fire but over priced.
I love Jamison, but it tastes weird aafter you develop a taste for Bushmills or Paddy.

Ok, well I bought 2 of them today, apparently she had 3 of them. She gave me a ridiculous deal and gave me like 50%-off my entire purchase, so that was cool lol. They are just little guys, maybe 18" long...She said the distributer said they are Gymnothorax tiles but I can't really tell the 2 species apart yet. Oh well, if they end up needing brackish water, I'm prepared to graduate them and run a brackish tank, it's worth it.

Right now I have them in a 30breeder, 36"L x 18"W x 12"H, although I swear I ended up putting seven 5 gallon buckets of water in it....whatever. I gave them a few inches of gravel and a nice big pair of ceramic strawberry-planters to hide in. She answered all my questions to the best of her ability and said they are pretty readily available. She couldn't find out if they were CB or not, but we guessed by how tame and docile they are, WC is not likely since Morays are aggressive generally.

I have a pair of long-handled hemostats and she gave me like $30 worth of frozen foods variety just for the heck of it for free. I got clams, shrimp, bloodworms, beefheart and some other stuff She also said they don't like dried foods.....anyone have any tricks to change that?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ if you find a trick to get them into Dry Foods im all ears!!!

As for telling the species apart, here are two comprison pics of the two species off google images:

Gymnothorax Polyurandaon:
image.jpeg

Gymnothorax Tile:
image.jpeg

You can notice the color and pattern difference between the two species...

G.Tiles are more brownish base with very small almost bronzey small spots, while Polyuranadon has more of a yellow base with darker almost black spots...

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
^ if you find a trick to get them into Dry Foods im all ears!!!

As for telling the species apart, here are two comprison pics of the two species off google images:

Gymnothorax Polyurandaon:
View attachment 1164100

Gymnothorax Tile:
View attachment 1164102

You can notice the color and pattern difference between the two species...

G.Tiles are more brownish base with very small almost bronzey small spots, while Polyuranadon has more of a yellow base with darker almost black spots...
oh yea, huge difference there...I guess if I wanted to find information on the 2 species I should have tried the old fashioned method......

.....looking. lol

I'm guessing by your post that's a "No" on having tricks to get them on dry foods? I was thinking maybe soaking it for a while before even putting it n the tank, might work, but she said they took a week to acclimate before she even GOT them to eat anything so I probably won't even try to feed them until Wed. or Thurs. so they don't stress worse....I already noticed the smaller one's color has lightened a bit since I got him home.

I read these guys are sensitive to temperature....I have them at 78F currently, is that good or should I set it up to 80F or 82F? I also read copper is harmful, possibly fatal.....do you have any preferences for medications that are safe for them or if I have to treat them just cut the dose in half like I would with catfish and other scaleless fish? I was thinking something like Parasite Clear tablets or something mild w/ a fenbendazole/metronidazole/praziquantel/acriflavine/diflurabavin (sp?) base, or something along those lines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store