Freshwater Moray Eels

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Just went to one of my LFSs and saw these guys for $20. I wanted one immediately but I don't know much about Morays in general except for reading, wildlife shows and freak encounters while snorkeling/fishing. Any input is welcome here, and any answer you guys can give I have the question for it. A few things that came to mind 1st are:

1.) Max. length/Min. tank size/growth rate/lifespan
2.) Aggression/compatible tankmates
3.) Difficulty/Water parameters/appropriate temperatures
4.) Sexing/Breeding/Elver-rearing/Live-bearers/Egg-layers
5.) Where are they from?
6.) Do these ALSO have a highly infectious bite and should I wear protective gloves when working w/ them?
7.) Is $20 a good price? (not that anyone else has them to compare)
8.) Are they disease/stress/complication prone?
9.) DIET/Nutritional requirements
10.) Do they need to be graduated eventually to Brackish or Saltwater?
11.) Anything I missed above, feel free to add to it.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
care seems to be more than I want to handle.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Twenty bucks sounds good to me and I think they are brackish.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
yes they are.

lizardboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
It depends on the kind, but I think the care for most of them is similar. There's a great thread on one of the species, gymnothorax tile, that goes into detail on the care. They like high brackish water.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
It depends on the kind, but I think the care for most of them is similar. There's a great thread on one of the species, gymnothorax tile, that goes into detail on the care. They like high brackish water.
The girl @ the store said a guy bought one 8 months ago and it was/has been in freshwater since a juvenile it's 3 feet long and doing very well.
Twenty bucks sounds good to me and I think they are brackish.
The Wiki entry says they can live in all 3, fresh, salt and brackish. Which makes sense because American and European Eels spawn in the Sargasso Sea, 1/2-way across the Atlantic then migrate to freshwater as they grow - known as Catadromous, then return to saltwater to spawn as adults, opposite Salmon, Striped Bass, etc which are Anadromous and do it backwards. But again, these are very different from the Eels we catch here in lakes, rivers, streams, Bays, etc. so who knows.
care seems to be more than I want to handle.
What do you mean by this, Pops? Do you just dislike dealing with animals that can hurt you or is keeping them really complicated? I'm not afraid, I mean I've dealt with much more dangerous animals before, particularly venomous snake and crocodiles, so Eels are like ...."new", but new means a good challenge for my thought process :D Or did you mean something entirely different?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
proper care involves brakish/marine water as I understand, or they do not do well, kept in proper water properties they are a hardy fish, for me? I just want to do my water changes, tank maintenance and enjoy my fish, I have no desire to get into brakish fish or black water fish, I have been stung with jelly fish, rays and sculptin and scorpians, bitten by snakes, iguanas, jags, oscars, dogs, cats and one bat.
just do not want to deal with whats needed to keep brakish/marine fish, :)

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
proper care involves brakish/marine water as I understand, or they do not do well, kept in proper water properties they are a hardy fish, for me? I just want to do my water changes, tank maintenance and enjoy my fish, I have no desire to get into brakish fish or black water fish, I have been stung with jelly fish, rays and sculptin and scorpians, bitten by snakes, iguanas, jags, oscars, dogs, cats and one bat.
just do not want to deal with whats needed to keep brakish/marine fish, :)
HAHAHA, you sound like someone I could kick back a few beers with and compare battle-scars LOL!!!

EDIT: btw, I just remembered my friend has a 60+ gallon reef corner tank and he had a Snowflake Moray, so I'm sure if it starts to "not-do-so-well" he'd be more than happy to take it. he knows saltwater very well, BUT I don't know anyone with Brackish tanks. I could ask my cousin's wife....she's a saltwater fanatic, maybe she does Brackish too

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am drinking beer? well that is not true, sipping an iced whisky before bed ATM. but was when i made the post. :)

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I am drinking beer? well that is not true, sipping an iced whisky before bed ATM. but was when i made the post. :)
I'm a Bushmills fan, but I'm trying to stick to beer since I end up drinking too much of it cuz it's sooooo good lol What's your favorite brand?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store